xisto Community
bryandel

Adobe Premiere Pro vs Sony Vegas 5 + DVD Productio Which is the best video editing software

Which is the best video editing software?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm only referring for PC users.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, sucks to be you then. Wait till after the 11th of January. Apple is going to start selling 499$ mac . Then spend $100 bucks to upgrade to final cut express. This way you not only get a new computer but also nice software for the same price as the adobe premier solution.

I don't want FCP.Because Final Cut Pro HD is priced at $999. It only runs under MAC OS. PC's are faster than Mac. Mac's are difficult to upgrade.The only reason macs might be considered better is because they are way more stylish and they don't get virus or spyware.

PC's are faster than Mac. Mac's are difficult to upgrade.

The only reason macs might be considered better is because they are way more stylish and they don't get virus or spyware.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this true? I've heard this but can anyone explain to me WHY? Otherwise it just sounds like hearsay to me. :oP Plus, HOW can Macs not get spyware? Mac users use the internet and sometimes even IE, like PC users... o_0

Is this true? I've heard this but can anyone explain to me WHY? Otherwise it just sounds like hearsay to me. :oP Plus, HOW can Macs not get spyware? Mac users use the internet and sometimes even IE, like PC users... o_0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Macs use different processors than PCs, so spyware written for windows would not work yor that reason alone, but there are other reasons. The main one is the security setup. Macs are built on top of FreeBSD, a unix OS. Unix has a very mature security architexture and the mac in OSX inherited it. It runs in what is called 'rootless mode' which means that even if spyware tries to run through, say, a security hole in your browser, it cant install system wide without your express permission(which takes more than just hitting 'ok' on a dialog). Finally, IE for mac has a different code base than IE for PC, so flaws that affect the PC version do not necessarily affect the OSX version. Finally, IE isn't tied into the OS in the mac, so even flaws that may exist have a harder time messing things up. Lastly, why run IE on a mac? Almost every other browser that exists on the platform is better than IE.

As for speed, that is no longer true. The new G5 based computers can keep up with intel and AMD(though it depends on the benchmark, and my experience on both platforms has led me to believe that the way most benchmarks are run is biased against the mac, ask me how if you care). The older G4 based macs are indeed somewhat on the slow side, but plenty fast for everything 'most' people do on their computers, such as email, webbrowsing, chat, movie watching, office stuff, programming, artwork, etc. Also, you would be surprised how much of the speed difference goes away(or even reverses) when you take into account dealing with spyware and adware that infests (and slows) almost every PC.

Finally, for video editing, all macs come with imovie, which is a simple non-linear video editor that will be just fine for 'lite' needs. For heavier needs, you can spend $100 and get final cut express(which is all you will need, only really hardcore pros need FCP, and I work as a video editor at work. *WE* use final cut express. FCP is overkill for almost everything(though it is still awesome)).

Price is also no longer such an issue. A mac mini will do just fine editing video. They are faster than the powerbooks we have at work, and those are plenty fast.

At the high end, PCs get equally expensive, and are more money to maintain/repair/deal with(also from my experience at work. We have to keep any PCs off the external net if we wanna make sure they won't go down at the wrong moment or get other problems).

The real issue with macs is the mid end people who want to do gaming. That is a legit complaint. But then again, I stopped gaming because I decided that it was a waste of my time on this planet, so I am not convinced that is really a loss. But you be the judge.

What I can tell you, is that as a PC user my entire life until this last december, I have NEVER loved using a computer like I have loved my ibook. I went from being indifferent or sometimes annoyed by my computer to feeling like it was my helpfull friend. It is something you would have te experience to really get, so I hope you try one(and really try, by which I mean for an extended period).

And yes, two button(or more) mice work fine. Just plug one in and it will work exactly as you expect it to.

Actually it really depends on what kind of editing capabilities you need. I'm on a Mac so of course I would say either FCP or FCE is really good (even iMovie HD is cool), but on the PC even there are many different types of programs. For Video usually they say that Adobe Premiere is the standard, which means it really does do anything and everything you want it to do, but if all you need is to piece a video together, splice parts, add subtitles, rearrange and add music, you would have a whole lot of other options open to you which do the job fine and don't require that amount of cost. For example, I dabble in a little home-video editing for events and such and I feel that Premiere is a little overkill (good to have, but overkill nevertheless) so I used Ulead Videostudio.As far as i know there isn't a trial version of any of these... ask around if any of your friends have it and try it out first before buying?

I am trying to choose between Adobe Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas 5 + DVD Production Suite.  Their both priced at $699. I want to know who is better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have not tried Vegas 5, but I have used Vegas 2 and I now use 6. It is the best video program in my opinion. It has a lot of great features that adobe after effects has and it is a non linear editing program. Try a demo version

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/

I'd like to try out a video editing program...                                                                                   

so which one is the best?                                                                                            One of these two?                                                                                                      I have no idea about that.

If you know a good one,                                                                                        please tell me! thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd recommend trying the demo versions of the programs you are interested in. All companies should have them. I know Vegas 6.0 is out.

Whether you have a Mac or PC, it shouldn't matter. They are both good platforms. Final Cut is good. Vegas is good. (I never liked the Premiere- they version I used was linear and they tried to make it like cutting film- waste of time.)

If you have a PC and like the PC, cool. As for the spyware etc... I recommend, if you are doing media (Audio or Video) having an internet computer and your media computer. It will keep it safe. That's what I have been doing for the last 8 years.

Enjoy!