xisto Community
bryandel

What Is The Best Brand Of Harddisk? Who has longer life?

Which is the best brand of harddisk?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Has anyone EVER had a hard disk fail on them ???i havent.

Then you are one lucky SOB. I've had 1 fail on me, and 2 of my friends have had them fail. In short, if you don't back your information up, your asking for trouble. I run Syncback every signin, so all of my important documents are mirrored on another networked computer. Its a very good habit to keep in, escspecially if you have a couple gigs of music/games/pictures.

As for the best drive, Seagate. Ive got all sorts of brands, and they build them with metal shields on everything, padded foam and heat dissapation measures. One died on me due to a bad PSU, and it took me close to 2 hours with a sledge to break it open to see what was inside.

In my experience, WD is good if you dont hurt it too much, Hitachai is exellent when you get into TB size commerical equipment, and Maxtor just sucks. Ive seen more bad maxtor drives and errors on them than anything else. So yea, i finish.
:D

Rhys_Rhaven, Maxtor sucked some years ago. Now Maxtor has reached good quality and it's worth the money.

eh, ive seen their designs though. even if they can match seagate in data precision, seagate builds a hdd like a tank. You can put it through alot, like me moving from one house to another alot with huge amounts of data, and it wont break from force.

I work making video productions, i have a capure card, so to upload videos, i had to capture the data to hard disk at different rates DV25 Video => 3.5 mb/s & DV50 Video => 7 mb/s, so, figured out, a complete tape, has 1 hour, so captuing video, is 1 hour the disk working at 7 mb/s (for this reason the disks has a short life for me)I have a ide raid 0 , i've tested all disk, but doesn't care the brand, about 1 year or more, i've to replace them. There is no better or worst disk, the duration depends of use.I have tested 3 brands:Maxtor: really good disk but a lot of noise (a little months less of duration)Seagate: good disk - good speed , for me the bestWestern Digital: almost the most quiet, the speed is a little slow than the others.Well this info, is my experience only, but I think the better disk is seagateGreetsDeivid

I didn't vote yet, becouse I had a Maxtor disk and it was awfull. I had to get another one after like 3 months. But now I'm using a SATA Maxtor (I'm almost sure it's maxtor) and it has been working great for me.I also had terrible problems with a IBM drive, a lot of bad sectors.

i've voted maxtor his sata disks is very good, and my old eide Maxtor Hd is still alive after seven long years of intensive use.i love maxtor brand, i've also tried many different brand such as IBM, Western Digital, Seagate and Fujitsu but they're not have the performances that i get from my maxtor's HDD =)

your almost sure? thats the thing, OEM stuff is alot worse quality than retail. I dont like OEM, cause the companys always get deals to cheapen stuff. (Gateway, Dell, HP, etc). If you buy a WD 74gb 10k raptor sata drive, that is going to be very expensive, and very very good. Get a crappy 40gb maxtor from a gateway select 2000, its gonna be crap. Even here, you get what you pay for.

i don't know much abt hard disks but i would recommend seagate to anyone who asks me.. good and reliable.

I'm WD addicted... :-) I'm currently using only WD discs. The raptor is great, i have 4 of them and all running smoothly (twice a raid 0 conf with 2 74 gig raptors). For my fileserver i use the standard 7200 rpm pata 200 gig discs, and i haven't had any problems with those at all... I have some older WD's too and i advise WD to all my friends :-). I guess its just because I'm used to WD and because I've never had problems with WD that i like this brand so much. I have one experience with a maxtor and that was really bad. I'm sure that was just coincidence, but well, I don't like to take risks with hd's... Always back up your important files!!!

TODAY!!!!... my third maxtor hd drive... TRES HARD DRIVES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS!!!!the worst of it, i checked the online warranty status... warranty was good until feb 05/2005... two months ago!!!!!!!!!I HATE MAXTOR!!!!!

My old computer has all WD's in it and they were great but after a couple years there speed's dropped noticeably... could have just been the model though or something like that (I had a couple of the same drive). My current machine is running a Maxtor 120gig and Maxtor 200 gig and both are really fast and working great. The 120 is going on 3 years of heavy use and no noticeable deterioration of speed. The 200 is fairly new so it's still working perfectly also.I didn't read through this whole topic so it might have been mentioned, but Seagate has purchased maxtor anyways, so assumedly choosing one over the other is irrelevant now. I'm betting the maxtor name will stick around but the hardware will be identical now assumedly.