xisto Community
NilsC

Testing New Websites Using Different Browsers Did you wish you had an older browser?

Lynx is an old text based browser.  It is very useful to be compatible with this browser if you plan for your site to be accesed by the visualy impaired.  Most of the equipment for reading text on the web out loud is done through the Lynx browser.  Another of the lesser known but still fairly comon browser's is the Off-by-One browser.  It is an ultra light weight and extreemly fast web browser.  It is very usefull if you are on a slow dial up conection.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually Lynx and Links are not that old LOL they still are develloped and standard on *nix systems. I actually use lynx fairly often :) If I run into ANY problem, I can get a floppy with unix on it (they do have em) and use lynx to search the net for solutions. :) Or most servers with *nix on it only have command line :) Which also includes Lynx mostly. I even use the text based email client, IRC client even :P and the mp3 player text based LOL.. Emacs games etc etc.

I was amazed to see so many browsers and the fact that I do know a lot of them :) that was scarey when I come to think about it.

If you want your site to be compatible with speech engines etc for the visually impaired then you're best off using a CSS file for it (define it with media="something") Ok I've been up for almost 4 days non stop now, so I have the right to forget things :P

If you want a site that works with text based and graphical browsers, make seperate stylesheets for it. AND make sure your links work without graphics :P you can easily test it.

Thanks for the link it will come in handy the next time I need to test a site.... BUT the other problem with this is that you will also need to test your site on both a PC and MAC. This is because you can have the same type and version of a browser but the site will still look different on a PC as it would on a MAC.

I just wished that HTML would become standard so that it would be the same not matter what browser or platform you are using. BUT unfortunately each browser uses some "special" HTML coding so that is why WebPages look and act differently using different browser type or even version.

Posted Image