xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
creedgaming

Iframes Sick Of hates

Just a note here, in case you're thinking, why care about the people with the outdated browsers?? Safari (the Mac default browser) has problems showing iFrames. You can see it, but sometimes the coding of the iFrames is not compatible with Safari, and you often get a teensy weensy iFrame instead of a bigger one as specified by the designer. Which means the design is screwed up and usability goes down the drain.I don't want to diss either, just saying if you want to make your site with iFrames, better check with the other commonly-used browsers regarding whether it will display properly or not...

I frame tag is a good tag, which can include different location on a same page. It is also good to the eyes if you can integrate it and it will match the design of the parent frame. The big dis advantage of this is that this is not robot friendly, it is primitive, and not effective for corporate and high quality web development. This tag is a tag for a child. hehehe, well I use include function in either php or the webbot function. All works perfectly. Very nice...

i think that iframe is very useful, but you must use them wisely. i don't like when someone puts a few iframes on one site (for example http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ). its very hard to navigate on that kind of website. anyway, i love iframes on small sites, when there is not more sub-sites. i like when site looks more like picture, and text is in iframe. it's very nice. but it's only ok on SMALL sites. like bands www or some blogs.It is really annoying when someone puts tons of iframes without any idea. i hate those kind of design. my favourite sites with iframes:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ much more.

The <?php include('thispage.php'); ?> is all I need!iFrames are the most annoying things. For a user who wants to increase the font-size or chage the colours to suit their needs have to do it a different which obviously takes twice the time, keyboard shortcuts don't work properly, websites can't be printed out properly, URL can't be seen etc...You probably know by now how much of an accessiblilty freak I am, but I believe very strongly in it so that everyone has the chance to see your website perfectly. I have worked with people who are physically challenged in some form or another and they knew how to surf the web without a mouse as quick as I could with one and that really inspired me, to know that they can still enjoy things we take for granted. Then to see them casually exit out of a site before it even loads simply because they knew they physically couldn't browse it was dissappointing. So I'll never change how people code but Im only giving advice from my experiences.Aside from that. They are poor programming. If you've never heard of iFrames, look into them and see if you NEED them, but don't use them if you've got this far without them just for the heck of it.

The use of Iframes depends entirely on personal choice and purpose [ex]- if it's a personal site , blog, journal, band site, or fansite, then i think they are neat and can spice up your page a bit. They also make it so that you don't have to reload the main image every page turn.On the other hand, if your site is proffesional, or it's a large site... iframes are not a good choice. Regular frames, imo, are just clumsy and unnessacery in most cases... so i say yes to iframes, down with regular frames.

Wow I was in the middle of making my new website WITH frames *and* iFrames and now I'm seriously rethinking it. I guess I come from the old-skool, learn-it-yourself crowd, so that's why I used frames in the first place (because it seems more accessible than something like PHP or CSS, which are just a bunch of non-sensical acronyms to me... Too scary to even look into--how hard is it to learn, honestly? I'm fairly technically intuitive, but not a genius computer programmer and I *don't* like writing too much code like if x=1, then true; etc.) Anyway I think that, although outdated, frames and iFrames can still be useful, if used correctly and by experienced designers. Yeah, I'm one of them. (not) But I've seen iFrames used in some pretty neat ways, like with the dynamic scrolling (hopefully not that hard--I'll have to look into it as I build my page)... and invisible framing can be *very* useful without the user even knowing it's there. It just depends on what kind of site you have and how you set things up. So don't be so quick to rule things out. We progress as a website-building community and have new tools at our disposal everyday, but that doesn't always mean the new ones are better than the old ones. It just means we have more tools to choose from.