xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
websaint

Image Host?

Although this does fall into the category of image hosting, it isn't like the conventional host that most of us come to know and use...

I'm talking about Hello . It's a Google backed software, so it integrates extremely well with other Google software like Picasa 2 and Blogger.

Think of it more like an IM which allows easier sharing of pictures between your contacts. THe hitch is - your contact must use Hello too. The best reason to use it IMHO, would be its ability to quickly and easily upload images to your Blogger.com blog, so one can host pics and even allow people to comment on them if one so wishes.

Give it a try... I'm quite happy with it !

I prefer imageshack.us, too. It is so easy to use. However their maximum image size is 1024 kilobytes, which is good enough for most of my creations. Registration is offered but not required. The one time I needed to upload a 1.16 MB animated .gif, I used 01files.com and its worked fine so far. According to their home page "Size limit = 1400000 bytes (To be increased)"--not bad at all!

I stopped using free image hosting services. Most of them has this on their TOS: "THIS COMPANY HAS THE RIGHT TO USE YOUR IMAGE BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and is available for public use, etc.". If you really value your image files, I recommend that you'd rather find a serious hosting company that won't take advantage of your files. Otherwise, if your image are just for kicks/fun, then I recommend photobucket. :P

Ooh..PhotoBucket is the way to go..

*Q:Coppermine Image Gallery stores and uploads image files.. It arranges them into a gallery, too, so couldn't it be labled as an image host as well?

one word: Image cave :)

Free Image Hosting at ImageCave.comSimple and direct - reliable photo hosting on fast servers. Free accounts get enough storage for hundreds of images, and 1GB of data transfer!

Direct Linking
Direct linking and remote loading is what we're here for! You can direct link any of your photos, albums, thumbnails, or album lists on any website, such as eBay, Live Journal, Blogger.com, or anywhere you need to post pictures! We provide the URL and HTML codes you need to quickly get your images added where you need them!
ImageCave is compatible with WebTV / MSNTV, and requires no additional software to use--just a standard web browser. You can upload image files directly from your computer, or transfer them to your account directly from another website!

Reliable
We use Dell web servers, storage appliances, and networking equipment, and have a large cluster of web servers, redundant storage servers, and a world-class network. This helps ensure that your images will be available when you need them! Our data center is a world-class secure facility featuring multiple routes to major network access points, 24x7 monitoring and redundant firewalls and router infrastructure.

it's got a great connection, high uptime, you got albums, and you can give a link (usera.imagecave.com/[enteryourusername]) to your friends, so they can see all of your pictures, and it's got extra options like resizing to make thumbs, optimizing, making different albums if you want, etc.
plus, the most important of everything on the web, it's simple. :)

i recommend it to everyone!

I'd like to say that photobucket is an awesome image host, but after my whole gallery of images was wiped off my account one day for no apparent reason, I can not say they are the most reliable host out there. I have no idea what happened, I just realised one day that an image I had hosted on my account, and linked to a forum I frequent, was missing. All I could see was the deadly red cross, or otherwise the annoying 'user posted image' for the Firefox users. When I checked my photobucket account, everything started out fine, I logged in without a problem, I was half expecting it not to log, thinking my account may have been deleted for some reason. But once in my account I could see no images. All the images I had uploaded to my account had been wiped off... and I wasn't informed as to why they were deleted. I just figured it was a glitch in the servers or something, and my files went walk-about, got lost and never came back. Well it doesn't matter anymore anyway, if I need an image host I'll either use ImageShack or my Xisto account. Both very reliable hosts.

I copied this from Photobucket's FAQ page. Maybe this is why your images disappeared (although your account apparently didn't disappear)?

Q: Are free accounts ever deleted?

A: Free accounts that are not logged into or havn't had any direct links for 90 days are removed. To avoid this log in to your account once a month.

With ImageShack, I've never had to register or open an account (although you could if you want). And their file size limit is larger than Photobucket's. Their FAQ is really nice and customer-friendly. My sig image has been on ImageShack since November and I have never seen it replaced by the dreaded red X, lol.

I copied this from Photobucket's FAQ page. Maybe this is why your images disappeared (although your account apparently didn't disappear)?

Q: Are free accounts ever deleted?

A: Free accounts that are not logged into or havn't had any direct links for 90 days are removed. To avoid this log in to your account once a month.

With ImageShack, I've never had to register or open an account (although you could if you want). And their file size limit is larger than Photobucket's. Their FAQ is really nice and customer-friendly. My sig image has been on ImageShack since November and I have never seen it replaced by the dreaded red X, lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the effort in digging that up, but nah that wasn't the problem. I actually logged in quite frequently because I always had something new to host all the time. I also had most of the pictures linked directly to forums, so they would be getting hits constantly, my account was very active. Oh well, I'm not one to complain, and considering they're service was free, and never offered any sort of stability guarantee, I definitely won't whinge about my experiences with them. But I did however have this problem with them, and have heard of others having the same problem, so it might be something for other people to consider when contemplating using the site. On the other hand, most users of the site seem to love it and have no problems at all, so chances are you'll be alright. I just got unlucky.

If I have to make any recommendations at all, it would have to be for ImageShack, after my troubles with PhotoBucket I have been very impressed with them.

I prefer imageshack.us, too. It is so easy to use. However their maximum image size is 1024 kilobytes, which is good enough for most of my creations. Registration is offered but not required. The one time I needed to upload a 1.16 MB animated .gif, I used 01files.com and its worked fine so far. According to their home page "Size limit = 1400000 bytes (To be increased)"--not bad at all!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to give everyone a heads up, as of the date of this post, 01files.com's account has been suspended. Now I need to hunt for another image host that can handle a 1.16 MB animated gif. :)