xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hashbang

The Cathedral V The Bazaar whats your inclination?

Hey All,

This came up on the "Why do more people use Windows" discussion and I thought I would continue the theme here. I would bet that most people haven't heard of The Cathedral and the Bazaar by Eric Steven Raymond. Those who have, probably use *nix and are intersted in the opensource community.

If you haven't been exposed to this, please have a look. I think this goes a long way to describe the linux movement and also gives some insight as to why linux users/develops are so zealous.

Check it out:

The Cathedral and the Bazaar

Does this change anyones opinion of windows?

cheers

hashbang

I have only read the introduction at the moment but I really liked how he compared the two styles. I plan to read the rest over the next week or so, so you can expect my opinion when I have finished.

I have only read the introduction at the moment but I really liked how he compared the two styles. I plan to read the rest over the next week or so, so you can expect my opinion when I have finished.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What Does OpenBSD count as ?

its Open source, but its mainly controlled by the university of california (a central point)

anyways, it doent change my opinion of windows... i fount it annoying, slow, un-reliable before, and i still think this is the case.

Isnt MS windows the ONLY fully closed source popular operating system around ?

the trends are obviouse, open your source and your *bottom* will follow.

What Does OpenBSD count as ?

its Open source, but its mainly controlled by the university of california (a central point)

anyways, it doent change my opinion of windows... i fount it annoying, slow,  un-reliable before, and i still think this is the case.

Isnt MS windows the ONLY fully closed source popular operating system around ?

the trends are obviouse, open your source and your *bottom* will follow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think OpenBSD would lean more towards the bazaar side of the scale as people can contribute ideas etc. to the project. As for windows being the only popular closed source operating system, isn't Solaris a closed source operating system? I thought it was and from what i have heard it is resonably popular.

Solaris is Sun's Unix variant. It is indeed closed source, but only for a bit longer. Sun recently decided to open source Solaris. Even before it became OSS however, it was still unix, and therefore based off unix source and architexture, which means programming for it wasn't nearly as hard as something more truly proprietary like windows. MacOS X has a similar approach, Apple opensourced darwin, the OSX unix core, and made assorted other pieces available to others. So, Apple is trying for the best of both worlds approach.

Solaris is Sun's Unix variant. It is indeed closed source

Solaris a closed source operating system?

It used to be, or maybe it still is... i cant remember that exact date that Solaris 10 is released as Open source... last time i read about it, Sun was negotiating an open source licence with the Open source software groupe.