xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sky1405241473

Music Stations Over The Internet

I first discovered the joys of listening to my favorite radio stations when I took an extended trip to Australia (way out of the range of every station that I listen to). Distressed at the thought of having to give up me stations for any length of time so I chose to turn to the source where most of us get our answers, Google.com. I searched for my favorite stations and discovered that most of them had websites, and a bunch of the ones that had websites also had live streaming programming directly over the internet.

Yeah, I run an internet broadcast where I work. It is really nice to be able to listen to the station on the way home from work, and then be able to hear it sitting around the house; well away from the max range of the station's signal.

It is also becomming very popular to run Inet radio from local machines. I am playing around with Shoutcast on my home PC. it is kind of interesting to do.

two drawbacks exist in the Shoutcast platform that I have discovered.

1.) The serve caches the signal, so it is impossible to synch the broadcast to the time. (EG. A three o'clock show can be heard starting at 3:20 on a listeners computer.

2.) When it crashes, it causes major lock-up, at least on my machine...

you can read more about shoutcast at: http://www.shoutcast.com/