xisto Community
arunkumarhg

Windows Or Linux DEVELOPERS Which OS You Prefer?

"DEVELOPERS" Which OS You Prefer?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think i preper Windows!! I like download program from free download web site and i saw most program support windows. i think this is a reason for why people choose window... although Linux is OS that support for open source but i think most people don't interestng that.

I Use GNu/LInux for developing of almost everything and I think that no others os(I have used SunOS, win and Mac too)are good as linux :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In some ways yes, in other ways no. The way linux is currently setup it is hard to make applications what I like to call 'rich'. For instance, with cocoa on OSX, any cocoa application can access services easily and cross communicate and share data more or less effortlessly, allowing things to work not only side by side, but in harmony. The plethora of different toolkits, gui thingies, and so on with linux make this much harder.

I agree with MajesticTreeFrog here, linux development is a little difficult since several packages are usually needed to make a basic functioning GUI then distribution can be anightmare if you happen to be using some obscure package or something. Developing in .net doen't used the windows API quite the same as say Visual C++ 6.0 did, it has become more logical and easy to develop apps quickly that intergrate well with each other and the OS. i can't really comment on Mac development.

In some ways yes, in other ways no.  The way linux is currently setup it is hard to make applications what I like to call 'rich'.  For instance, with cocoa on OSX, any cocoa application can access services easily and cross communicate and share data more or less effortlessly, allowing things to work not only side by side, but in harmony.  The plethora of different toolkits, gui thingies, and so on with linux make this much harder.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rich? If you talk about GUI, yep Linux is not based on the appearance like Mac or WIn, but with Bash scripting you can easily create a script to administrate everything you need, it's not graphic but useful..and then have you ever tried to program a Gui apps under Win or mac?I'm not, but using KDe with Superkaramba you can display everything on the desktop and with perl or python scripting it's possibile to have a very "alternative" and unique desktop :)

Is that possible with Win?if you use Style Xp yes, but it's not the same...

'njoy

I vote for Linuxbecause of these reasonsIt is free and open source, as they say millions of minds can not make mistacks, It divise drivers are very efficient. The graphics drivers are good. The persons witch are in system software engineering will prefer to use linux rather windows. It provides lot of APIs to access hardware resources. The security provided by linux definitely has advantages than windows.Thanks

I have to say windows all the way, i am a big windows fan if you couldn't tell, LOL, i use visual basic .net for my programming, it and the .net framare brillient, I really haven't tried to develop anything on any other OS but y waste money on another operating system and ccomplier when i got a working set already.plus visual basic .net is great for a beginning programmer if you ask me, i should look up some c++ tutorials though and learn it to.

I have to say windows all the way, i am a big windows fan if you couldn't tell, LOL, i use visual basic .net for my programming, it and the .net framare brillient,  I really haven't tried to develop anything on any other OS but y waste money on another operating system and ccomplier when i got a working set already.plus visual basic .net is great for a beginning programmer if you ask me, i should look up some c++ tutorials though and learn it to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, on other OS's the compilers and such you spent money on come with it for free. Linux comes with a ton of nice dev tools(it is a programmers' OS after all) and you can download the Xtools for OSX from apple for free as well.

For a normal typical user, I would say that Windows is a better OS as it is easier to use. And since most software developer sort of develop their software with Windows in mind, Windows has become the mainstream OS. I would give Windows +1 as more users are just typical user and would prefer an easy-to-use-OS.

Linux, only Linux and nothing but Linux. The initial task of configuring it from scratch is pretty daunting - but people who are remnants of the MS-DOS days (though you hardly had to tweak around with dos) shouldn't find the command line interface too hard.

Flip side about Linux is it's man pages - while highly informative to an advanced user, the white-on-black page after page of cryptic commands and options do get to you after a while. Best startegy I believe is to tackle one new command a day and spend the rest of the day fiddling around with all it's options. DO NOT BE SCARED - even if you manage to do a rm -rf * on the root partition :P . Consider your system is overdue by one fresh installation (Taking into account the number of times I had to install Windows every week - this is a breeze). And as a learning user - do not OBEY the warning about running software as "root". It's bull..... It gets to be a pain the wrong place in you keep switching between normal user and root user using "sudo" but running as root and screwing your system up has got an altogether different FUN in it :). Believe me, you'll stand a much wiser man at the end of the day.

Besides - now with so many new open-source applications being launched on the net everyday, the gap between lin & win is bridging out very fast. You are already able to run linux binaries on windows and vice-versa using the Cygwin libraries and WINE(Windows Emulator) respectively... though the binaries that they are able to run are by far very few. Whatever it is - a very good start for something as diverse as lin & win.

Even though my sw development platform has been Windows & .NET so far (believe me, I still am an avid fan of VS.NET) but I hate the platform it runs on with PASSION - I found Glade 2 on linux recently and am quite happy with it. I have a feeling within the next few releases - it would give Visual Studio quite a run. Even the graphics capabilities of linux has increased thousand folds since I remember it last - at least with Fedora Core and Redhat Enterprise. There's hardly anything missing out in the new GNOME interface - including almost all the elements that you see as a part of your Start Menu in Windows and much much more. I think, Fedora Core is a MUST TRY for everyone.

If you are a web-developer and run a test-server at home to simulate a real world model - using IIS is out of question. First of all - the damned thing is so unstable and buggy, that it's not even funny. Besides most of the popular scripting languages run without a hitch under Linux. the AMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP) combination in Linux is pure fireworks. Just a little knowhow on how to manipulate these 3 - Space is the Limit !!!

Ah well... I could probably sing praises about linux till the wee hours of dawn, but I'd better put a stop here & be back with some more later :)

As I can see my prime motto in life is changing into gaining Linux Converts... who needs to have a religion anymore ??

Best Regards

what is the difference between lunix and unix operating systems aint they the same? ive seen pictures for the GUI (generated user interface) on mandrake. looks really good! it had all the stats on the desktop and the buttons and icons are breath taking! wish i had that interface! most of the can be transparent aswell! windows xp are just begining to use it.

what is the difference between lunix and unix operating systems aint they the same? ive seen pictures for the GUI (generated user interface) on mandrake. looks really good! it had all the stats on the desktop and the buttons and icons are breath taking! wish i had that interface! most of the can be transparent aswell! windows xp are just begining to use it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude,

I don't indent to be rude here... but for one, GUI stands for Graphical User Interface and do not insult my fav OS by calling it Lunix - it's Linux, only Linux & nothing but Linux ... more later ;)

Welcome to the Linux world !!!

I always prefer Linux to Windows. Ok, before everyone complains that windows is so much easier, let me clarify my statement.With linux, there is a much bigger group of people that are willing to help me when I have problems outside of the common ones. From one complete install of linux, I get so much software for free that would take me months of hunting down, and spending countless dollars were I to try to match it in windows. Anytime I want to start an opensource project, I always have plenty of help from people using linux. Most windows programmers just say "what's opensource?"But my biggest reason for loving programming linux, is that if I want to make a program, there's a good chance that not only is there one simular to what I want to do, but I can see how they did it, so I won't have to spend hundreds of hours figuring it out.The Original YB!! :P

I like Linux because I am a hardcore developer and I'm running 2 Linux servers at my house. I prefer Redhat Linux ES. I also have windows computers and Macintosh computer that I use. I mainly use the Macs for Extreme video editing which I do for local bands, my church, and my school. I mainly use the Windows comps for my Work which needs windows to run the software that I need.