xisto Community
rapco

How To Recover Data.. Realizing data recovery

Ok, i'm not going to teach how... i'm asking how!!!!I tried GetDataBack on a 40gb disk a few months ago, it took so long, that the disk physically failed, damaged for ever...Now, i have a 120GB and need my data back.. help!Thanks!

getdataback have two version, ntfs and fat. i use it before and it works, my drive is in ntfs so i used ntfs version. there is also another data recovery tool which more reliable and can recover files that is formated 8x or fdisk x8 but i lost it. an info of that soft it is used in a certain company, hope you can find it in google ^_^

Use PCI file recovery, works on ntfs and fat32 partitions. It saved my music collection once, so I like it very much. It's also called PC Inspector File recovery or something. And its freeware ^_^:D:P

After an unentensionally format of my document HD, I used "EasyRecovery Pro v5.12 Ontrack", and did get almost every thing back. It was more than 40 GB. The only downside was that all my MP3 was mixed up, so it was 10 sec of each song ^_^ The rest of the documents was fine, but it takes a lot of sorting time afterwoards.

How does the computer memorize all the file? I mean, we've delete it and emptied the trash can... So it's like gone forever or is it? I really wanna know how this works... Tell me and thank you... ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All of the files on your hard drive are scatered around with litle links telling where the next little bit of information is to be found. The proble is finding the first piece of the file to link to the rest of the data. On a hard drive there is a special sector seperate from evry thing else called the master file table or MFT for short. It is basicly a map to all of the starting points of the file stored on the disk. When you delete a file all that you actualy do is erase the link from the MFT leaving evrything intact on the disk. with nothing to refer to it it can now be over written by other data. If you are able to recover files they have not been overwriten.

Most disk formats just wipe the MFT and thats it. You can find programs to rebuild the entire MFT for you if this is the case. A low level format wrights youre entire drive with 1's or 0's making it imposible to recover the data theoreticaly, the government has ways around this to. But there are stil ways to do beter than this with multiple low level formats. that is where you take and whipe yore drive with 0's then 1's several times over. There are programs that do this automaticaly to make it easier.

Hope this answered youre question.

GetDataBack is not the easiest thing to do , I found Recover4All , and I've been using since 2 years , I recovered Gigabytes of stuff ( movies / games / etc etc ) and say about 80% of the times they were still working or working to some extent .it's not FREE btw . but it's cheap

TuneUp Utilities' TuneUp Undelete works fine in recovering deleted files too(as long as the data that was left in the disk is still in good condition). It can also scan your computer and list all the files that you can still recover.

I've tried Ontrack's EasyRecovery 6.04 .. PRO::Partitioned in Linux .. realised did the wrong HDD .. Repartitioned back to NTFS .. Reinstalled WinXP .. Still manage to Recover Gigs of Data ::CON ::It's not free!! It's not cheap .. a single licence DIY version will cause abt USD 89 ..Guess I did too many things to my HDD .. many of the recovered files were corrupted, and their folder names were gone .. but when I 1st did it on a wrongly formatted HDD .. most things were fine