xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rmdort

Which One's Better? SD Or DDR-RAM ?

i see that the prices are SD ram went up while that of DDR rams dropped ... Which ones better SD or DDR ram..?My laptop has a 256 MB sd ram.. I feel like upgrading .. Now i m stuck in this dilemma..

1. you can't put ddr on an sd motherboard. given the fact it's a laptop and you'll probably stick to the mb then (hehe), you've got no option but sd ram. don't go buy any sd ram yet! sdram for desktop pc's is not the same as the one for your laptop. check out the manufacturer's site!2. ddr is way better than sd. sd goes up because they don't manufacture it anymore i guess.

ddr is the best, practically because of higher bus speeds and bigger caches......SD is **** unless you have a p1 that you need to boost...!!all p4's however either accept RDRAM on their mobos or DDR...

It really depends on the speed of the RAM. A 512Mb SD-RAM running at 400 Mhz is better than a 512Mb DDR-RAM running at 100Mhz. If they were both running at the same speed (say 400 Mhz), I think the DDR would be better though (because it's a newer technology). As mentioned before, DDR does have higher speeds than SD has. But keep in mind, you need to get the type of RAM that your Motherboard supports. This includes...1) RAM type (SD or DDR)2) RAM speedMotherboards that only support up to RAM speeds of 200Mhz, will have problems if you stick in a 400Mhz speed RAM. It's VERY important to make sure you get the right type of RAM for your motherboard! Look at your motherboard manual (or look it up online) and see what kind of RAM it supports BEFORE you buy the RAM. Otherwise, you could be wasting your money.

The difference between SDram and DDR ram is simple. In SDram bus data is transfered on an up-pulse (or down-pulse, depends on which direction you watch it ^_^ ) while in DDR on both up and down. This means that DDR transfers twice the data SDram does given that both are running at same clockrate, meaning the real clockrate here. This is from which DDR's name comes from. No it has nothing to do with former eat germany. Dual (or double) data rate. As in practise DDR transfers double the data as sdram it is basically equivalent of sdram running at double clockrate. So sdram runnign at 200Mhz is equally fast as 100MHz DDR. This is theoritical of course. Because of this DDR is often labeled double the rate that it actually runs (or is capable of running). So your DDR 400 runs at 200MHz in reality. However some motherboards (I believe including Asus) display the actual clockrate instead of sdram compared one.