xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wwheeler

Spyware Detection Software What is the best to use?

Nobody want spyware / malware on their computers. Mosst of us knows the 3 or 4 good "free" programs to use out there. Then there are all the ads that show in google and on sidebars in different websites. Do we have any guarantee that they do what they say! Some of them are cracked old versions of legit software and some sound like the real thing. To keep up on legit and non working (sometimes even a spyware themself) programs.

Check out:

Spyware Warrior Find out if you are using the real thiing!

here is a link to a test performed with some of the free and not free software claiming to remove malware / spyware. Spyware / malware removal tests

There are some interesting data in there. Take the time to read...

Nils

I use SpyBotSearch and Destroy, Adaware SE, and Spyware Blaster. Its odd having 3 programs but I wanna keep my computer clean of spyware. I usually run a scan about every single day with each program and I also update each one. Its tiring to do that everyday but I wanna keep my computer Spyware Free.

I use X-cleaner because it has a freeware version. It can detect most spyware/malware and have some tools to prevent spying. I really like using this software because it's easy, fast, and very portable. If you will have have the deluxe version you will be able to deep scan your system.

an interesting news article apeared on slashdot.org today about windows spyware testers such as spybot and ad-aware, suprisingly the one that came out on top in this particular test was the new microsoft "windows Anti-Spyware", if anyone is interested in the article it is here : Slashdot.

I personally use spybot for my checking needs i might however have to give this new M$ one ago.

i think ad-aware se is hands down, the best (and FREE) adware remover program out there. it's so kool, it even has definitions you can download! and yes, it's completly free but some features are disabled but people can live with out them. get it now! :)

The best anti virus is the f-prot like him to who like him I use like system operativi windows 2003 server enterprice edition is the only one that you allow to install meAlso I use ad awareSpy and destroitBut in general I run the antivirus and everything takes out the malware into me

CryptonX - Giant Anti Spyware is now Microsoft Anti-Spyware.I downloaded BETA 1 of MS Anti-Spyware and it worked very very well. I liked the scheduler and it's ability to restore IE's default search pages and settings if a hijack attempt has taken place.The ability to send info regarding false positives to the collaborative network called SpyNet is also a plus.All that remains to be seen is the pricing policy - because the software itself is a winner.I'm paranoid about Spyware & Net nasties so here's my defence lineZoneAlarm PRONAV 2005SpyBot S&D (with real time protection ON )Ad-Aware SESpyware Blaster (to protect from known bad ActiveX)MS Anti-Spyware (with real time protection ON)A fully plugged/updated Windows systemusing Firefox & Thunderbird instead of IE & OEand of course the jewel in the crownRoxio GoBack ( now Symantec GoBack, but I've got the older version) which allows me the comfort of a PC time-machine !

Found a new one a few days ago.Hitman pro.It automaticaly runs these programs and uses them to check for spies. * Ad-Aware SE 6.2 (versie 1.05) * Webroot SpySweeper 3 (1 * Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3 * SpywareBlaster 3.2 * McAfee Stinger:), kind of a multilauncher thingy. Runs quite nice thoughl

One finds what the other misses :)I use too many antivirus, antispyware, etc.I use:-AntiVir Personal Edition for real-time scanning-McAfee Viruscan for on-demand (downloaded serial)-Microsoft Antispyware Beta 1-Prevx Home 2.0-Spybot - Search & Destroy-Ad-Aware SE Standard Edition (downloaded serial)-SpywareBlaster3.2-Nero UE 6.6-InJoy Personal Firewall-Service Pack 2-Mozilla SuiteGood enough? LoL...

I have been using Spybot and Ad-aware with Norton for a long time. In some cases I have had to remove the bug manually with the support of some specialized webpage. Right now I’m testing the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1.

I used to use just Norton AV, but now I use Microsoft AntiSpyware as well. Norton just doesn't pick anything up.I can't understand why MSAS is in beta. All they've done is take GIANT and change the look and feel of it.

I'm sure this has been said before in this discussion, but I really like Spybot Search and Destroy. It's free, it's updated regularly, and it does a great job eliminated annoying spyware. Do a Google search for it, and you'll find many download sites, including the official Spybot S&D site. I've used it for a long time now, and have had no serious problems, and my computer's been spyware free.Off topic, but if you're having problems with popups, I recommend either the Google toolbar (free) or the Norton version of a Popup/Adware blocker.-Kyle