xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
alexia

Shutdown Windows Xp Faster Tutorial

:D Hi

So sorry my en is not good .

I Learned This tutorial by Byron Hinson And i want teach to u today

1 - Start Regedit.

2 - Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control.

3 - Click on the "Control" Folder.

4 - Select "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"

5 - Right click on it and select Modify.

6 - Set it to a value lower than 2000, say 1000 as a test

by 6 Steps you can make windows faster to shutdown :D

some body dont know what is Regedit ,

Regedit is Regsitery Editor And for run this APP go to Start menu and then RUN and then Type in Run Regedit .

Anytime you edit the registry you can render your computer inoperable. Always backup your registry before you make any changes. Read how to backup and add to registry from a command prompt before you start playing with settings. If you make the wrong change and your computer will not start you can restore the registry from a bot disk using command line :D

The registry tweak posted above here is only changing the timeout setting.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="20000"
This is the default setting in XPP.

You can edit thet number down until you see a marked increase in shutdown speed. One drawback is if you have "write-behind caching enabled", this not turned off by default so anything stored in cache will be lost if you change the setting to low without disabling "write-behind cache"

Nils

Okay, so you're saying that... I should create a back-up of my registry before i change any of the settings, correct? And if i backed it up and something did go wrong i'd be able to recover it again?

you can do both of those things to help speed up your shut down. but also you can go to places like google or download.com and search for optimization tools. i found a couple that work really well and also did my startup speed :angry:

hars53,correct, anytime you have to work with registy files you should back the registry up.One more thing you can do if you are using XP is to create a restore point, back up the registry and then do the editing.when you are done editing registry, restart your computer and make sure everything still works :angry:If you are using XPP you need to understand the startup process and how to "Restore to last known good configuration"(This is registry setting). You need to remember that if you have problem starting the computer after a registry edit you should do this first, if startup in safemode, that is OK because it does not update the "LastKnownGood Control set". Last Known Good configuration can be restored until you have a successful startup at that time it's updated.Nils

Nothing will go wrong with that optimization, is work like thisYour computer wait about 20 seconds to start killling unrespoded programs and if you do this it will start killing programs when you decide (1000) :angry:There is many optimizations for everything, to speed up computer you can clean prefetch folder(everyone know this :ph34r: ) just use google :blink:

hey well honestly i dont see why anyone would want to shutdown windows xp faster, i mean well honestly i run loads of servers on my computer and so it neva gets shutdown, well, probably once a week on sunday morinings, and well i jus like to leave the computer to take its time to kill processes before going offline, i mean i dont want the sql server to get all messed up or some other service running on the system to black out on me the next time i reboot, so all im saying is i dont see the need to mess up with the windows registry , its perferct the way it its

hey well honestly i dont see why anyone would want to shutdown windows xp faster, i mean well honestly i run loads of servers on my computer and so it neva gets shutdown, well, probably once a week on sunday morinings, and well i jus like to leave the computer to take its time to kill processes before going offline, i mean i dont want the sql server to get all messed up or some other service running on the system to black out on me the next time i reboot, so all im saying is i dont see the need to mess up with the windows registry , its perferct the way it its

59540[/snapback]

hmm I agree with you, I also don't want to mess something up... anyway I never turn off my PC, only when I need to add some new hardware, or when I just make some maintaince and cleaning inside... :)

I don't want to shutdown faster, but I prefer that the computer starts up faster. That's the reason why I am using Microsoft Bootvis to start my computer much faster.But your tips to shutdown faster are great two! My computer is faster down now :)

**NOTE: before anybody does this teak to the Registry, you really have to be carefull on what you do, and anybody that changes it, should make a backup copy of the registry, just incase something goes wrong.

Here is how to shutdown faster: Turn off your monitor and leave!!

59540[/snapback]

I also agree with you. There is no point of speeding up the shutdown process, (unless they are refering to Restarting)