xisto Community
rmdort

Gmail Tweaks gmail tweaks n utilities

Meh, I like Yahoo a lot better, sure Google has a more space but Yahoo gives me 1 gig and I don't need any more. I get a lot of emails a day from friends and I have only filled about 1/5 of the inbox. Plus having a Yahoo account helps me out a lot more wheter I want to look at Sports or play games I just have to log in.

someone told me that you can use gmail as a host for like pictures and stuff.. has anyone else heard this.. and is it possible cuz i wouldnt mind using it to show off pictures... ya can never have too much free space :D

To each their own, I guess. I have a Yahoo! Mail account myself, but I practically never use it (except to check if I've received mail from folks who didn't know I switched to Gmail). While I do admit that Yahoo's 1G inbox space it generally more than enough and that their email account integrates with Yahoo's other features, I can't help but be bugged by all the flash ads on their email screen รข not to mention that rather crowded layout. Of course, using and ad-blocker like the AdBlock and Flashblock extensions for Firefox would solve most of those problems, but still... it's the principle of the thing. =^^=

Besides, what really wins it for me about Gmail is their conversation thread view. A must-have feature if you do a lot of email convos. And then there's their email search function.

Gamerchick, Gmail doesn't serve as an image host, per se. Rather, Gmail integrates with Google's Picasa image organizer/picture sharing/image-editing software. I'm not quite certain on the details as I don't use it myself, but I get the impression that your Gmail acount also doubles as a Picasa account.

I have yet to find a single host that cover all my needs. With GMail, I became enamoured first because of the huge space offered. I like to use it as a repository of emails that I need not keep in my primary mailbox. As you've guessed my primary mailbox is NOT GMail, because I still prefer a classical layout which shows me the size of the emails and also because I've been using my primary mailbox for years now and am extremely happy with the service.

A lot has been written about the interface and even more has been written and read into the text ADs that are put up. My opinion about this is simple but one which doesn't apply to many people - For sensitive stuff, my email is sent/received in encrypted format using GnuPG.

Another factor that awes people (IMHO) is the exclusivity factor:

One can't get an account by simply going to the website, you needed to be invited into the coterie of privileged users with GMail accounts. Of course, sites like isnoop.net put paid to that. And now everyone and their grandmother have GMail accounts and over 50 invites to give away. It isn't just the service that counts now-a-days, it's the general user's perception of the user that counts.

That's a pretty hefty list of tweakers, but I'm looking for a site-hosting utility. Something I could access through cgi, PHP, or something like that. I heard about one a while back, but I don't seem to be able to find it.Any suggestions?