xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ChronicLoser

Question About Unique Visitors...

I have no idea where I should be posting this topic...question. But hopefully this would be an okay place to do it...I was wondering...how unique visitors are counted. Daily unique hits are from seperate ip addresses. So say we have a hundred unique hits in one day. The next day, you can have those same hundred people come and it will be considered unique right? Thus, there would another hundred unique hits. Alright, assuming this to be true, how is a monthly statistic of uniqe hits counted? Are all the hits from different IP addresses? Or is it from adding all of the daily unique hits?...hope that made sense :P

Notice from m^e:
Topic modified to reflect nature of content better.
Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

er....it'd be nice if someone would reply an answer for me...I'm sure someone here knows. I'm just a bit curious about how it works.

I don't know, but i guess you could find out by counting the daily unique hits. If it is bigger than your monthly statistic of uniqe hits, than you know the answer right? :P But is think it count all the daily unique hits... If you visite a site twice in a month, it seems logic to me you are counted twice. A unique visitor equals one visit of one user. There is propably an option to set the time between two visits when a visitor should be counted again...

well see...once I had this stats thing that would count the daily hits and unique hits for only a week, before replacing the stats with newer ones. The only part that stays consistent is the "per month" stats. So i couldn't count the daily hits past a week. It was a rather bad statistic website...forgot the name of it anyways =P

erm .. it depends ..if u r saying the awstat provided by Xisto,a different ip will be counted as unique visitor. u can disconect and reconnect and enter ur page , update ur awstat and u will see +1 unique visitor.but there're different way of counting unique visitors.i used statcounter b4,u install the code into ur page and i think they will assign a cookies to every visitor.and by this the counting of unique visitor is by referring to the cookies but not ip address. if u do not have a cookie that means u r a 1st time visitor.

I'm not very sure about this, but unqiue hits do not seem to equal to number of unique visitors. When I go to your website index page, more than one hits are counted because your browser has to fetch additional files like images and stylesheets. Let's say the page has 5 images, so these 5 hits has to be counted. But there's only one unique visitor here only you see.

hits = number of times ppl have visited ur pagesunique hits = number of differant IP's that have visited ur pagesThats to my understanding anyway