xisto Community
Zubair1

Where Did You Learn Html?

For me, the most important thing about html it's knowing the codes meaning.. you don't have to use it.. there are many utilities that will do that for youThe best way to learn.. seeking for free tutorials... there are thousands of 'em on the net.. and the tip for seraching the right tutorial is seraching for specific things.. for EX:menuinteractive menuframesiframesetc...That way you won't have to read stuff you won't understand and may be useless for u...

I use Dreamweaver some, mostly I use it to do something I can't figure out, then I view and repeat the code. Its a great learning process.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried Dreamweaver, but I didn't like it. I see HTML as being really easy and simple and Dreamweaver just seems to make it too complicated and it's big, slow (relative to other apps) application, just to create HTML. I just use a plain, old text editor, then preview with a web browser (Safari, to be exact). I don't think it worth having an application to make it "easier."

Brian, a patch recently came out for dreamweaver to fix the speed issue. That being said, dreamweaver isn't for creating a webpage, but instead creating and manageing an entire sight, with lots of interconnected pages and such. If all you are doing is creating a small site with a few pages and nothing fancy going on, then its overkill.

Brian, a patch recently came out for dreamweaver to fix the speed issue.  That being said, dreamweaver isn't for creating a webpage, but instead creating and manageing an entire sight, with lots of interconnected pages and such.  If all you are doing is creating a small site with a few pages and nothing fancy going on, then its overkill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, yes. You're right. I should have mentioned that. For my purposes, Dreamweaver is way too much, but yes, if you were using it to manage an entire website, it has it's place. I like the integrated FTP, thats very nice. For my small website, it's not worth starting up the whole application just so I can do a little tweaking to my site. Thanks for the clarification there, Frog.

I've been learning HTML for over 5 years now. It's a constant learning process for me, because I use it in spurts and for periods of time I don't need to know it. Anyway, I've learnt HTML from various websites and classes. I also have a copy of Microsoft FrontPage 2000, which is a big part of my learning. Basically, when I want to try new things I look up tags from HTML sites and try them in FrontPage. Also, I once took a course on using Macromedia Dreamweaver, but I admit I like FrontPage better than Dreamweaver. I found that for me FrontPage utilizes HTML to form what you command it to. Dreamweaver manipulates HTML to get what you want.

Welll, I myself did not use this, but I advise it for people learning HTML. I've had a quick flick through it, its a great book. Try "HTML for 4 DUMMIES!" or its sometimes known as just "HTML 4 DUMMIES!". Its a great book, really useful and packed with all the basics and extras, so I say you should get that then just move onto more things, its at most libraries.

hmm, well I personally learned html/java/php/etc through free online templates you get from geocities, freewebs, etc. Then I continued with actual websites to get the finer points mastered. I'm not really into coding as i am designing though =P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AMAZING! i love your template! do you do your own designs? how?

I've been learning HTML for over 5 years now. It's a constant learning process for me, because I use it in spurts and for periods of time I don't need to know it. Anyway, I've learnt HTML from various websites and classes. I also have a copy of Microsoft FrontPage 2000, which is a big part of my learning. Basically, when I want to try new things I look up tags from HTML sites and try them in FrontPage.  Also, I once took a course on using Macromedia Dreamweaver, but I admit I like FrontPage better than Dreamweaver. I found that for me FrontPage utilizes HTML to form what you command it to. Dreamweaver manipulates HTML to get what you want.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MS frontpage? honestly, i still find it difficult to manipulate html codes.

i just learned from geocites.

My first experiences with HTML were from tutorials and free hosting like freeservers or geocities. That was the easiest way. My pages looked like crap but at the time I didn't care. Now I use XHTML Strict and CSS in all my pages to make them 100% available to everybody.

MS frontpage? honestly, i still find it difficult to manipulate html codes.

i just learned from geocites.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to practice a lot. One thing that makes FontPage 2000 great is that there are three tabs: Normal (a WYSIWYG-esque interface), HTML, and Preview. Most of the main work I do in Normal, where you can build a site like you would build a document in Word. Then I look at the result in Preview, and if it doesn't work I inspect the code in HTML. It's instant gratification, unlike manually figuring out the HTML in Wordpad.