xisto Community
pedro1405241472

Windows Security security

pedro,my opinion is since microsoft is commonly used all over the world (desktop computers),most hackers work on hacking windows,and same for viruses,explorer plugins and others.and what makes ms so vulnerable is that it is closed source,unlike linux which is open source.Therefore,when a vulnerability is discovered in windows it will take more time to be fixed since only ms programmers have access to the code,and meanwhile...you are insecure.

The only thing that is not clear to me is that why this thread has been started in the GOOGLE section. Surely it should have been a better fit at the OS section.

Windows XP is not sercure becuase the rate of which people are making potentially fatal viruses is much much higher than the rate of which Windows Microsoft are releasing patches and service packs to prevent this from happening. Also lots of people see it as a challenge to spread a virus and this is for some reason incentive to wreck hundred of computer drives.

Windows XP is not sercure becuase the rate of which people are making potentially fatal viruses is much much higher than the rate of which Windows Microsoft are releasing patches and service packs to prevent this from happening

Yea thats true last time I checked there was over 200known viruses in the wild for windows computers and only around 8 for linux computers and 20or so with Mac not sure though

since microsoft is commonly used all over the world

not really true in europe and asis more people use linux and unix based systems not sure about canada ^_^

XP SP1 and previous version are not secure because all port are opened on the internet.XP SP2 use an firewall who close this port, so i think, xp sp2 is more secure that other windows version. For security is more important to use FIREWALL!!! and do not open all join attach in mail!!

well i think that in windows xp home edition anyway is that there firewall is not as good as the other versions of the other windows. i think that is why they made service pack 2. But i dont know that might be for professional edition as well.

Don't use their FIREWALL then... There are always other FIREWALL to test... Like ZA or McAfee or Sygate... ( I think sygate is the same as Mc? ) And also you need to do a constant scan on your computer for spyware and adware which is often harmful... Virus check with Norton may also do alot of good. Added up with bi-monthly reformating or tri-monthly or whatever... It is good. You must know how to maintain a good computer instead of always blaming it on the hackers. If thre is no hacker, there won't be a better computer. Understand what I mean?

Well, mines Windows 2000 Pro... And it sure needs FIREWALL... Even with firewall, my computer is still proned to virus... And I dunno how to reformat my comp and what's more, reformatting causes me to lose my valuable file... Oh dear me... Anyways, my brother maintain this computer so it doesn't go bad... It's still ok... Except that it is always wrecked by me... hahahahaha...

For home sp2's Firewall is sufficient. Other firewall is not an obligation because, aren't powerful that sp2's firewall.

For office, it's necessary to use firewall hardware.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, SP2's firewall isn't all that great. There's been quite a few exploits and bugs discovered since its release. I mean, I hate to say it, but anything released by Windows tends to be fairly unsecured. Generally, if you're a huge company, either someone from the inside leaks code and exploits or you just attract so much attention that someone finding a bug in your code is inevitable.

If you want the best firewall on the web, and what I mean by that is the best I can find, go to:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ download their free firewall. Or go to Best Buy and just buy the Pro version. It's about $20.

If you want the best firewall on the web, and what I mean by that is the best I can find, go to:

http://www.zonealarm.com/

and download their free firewall.  Or go to Best Buy and just buy the Pro version.  It's about $20.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Second'D. Zonelabs has actually a fairly nice firewall up their sleeves. >_> Or sleeve.

I still can't believe how email worms can have so much success in infiltrating people's computers, who would fall for a i love you letter (A) ^_^. What i mean to say is : If you just be carefull on the internet you don't need a virusscanner, because most of 'm will have to be launched by the user. Firewalls, if an OS has a security hole in it, a firewall won't help, firewalls just help against trojans or dDos attacks.

cummon.... face it !
the reason windows is so insecure is because ... well.

has anyone ever watched fightclub ?

its my job to apply the formulae.a car made by my ocmpany leaves at 60mph, the rear wheel diferential locks up.
the entirely family is traped and burns.
A is the cost of a re-call.
X is the possibility of the rear wheel diferention locking up.
Y is the average out of court settlement.
if X * Y is cheaper than A, we dont re-call

have a look at http://www.openbsd.org/

the slogan on the front page is correct... its almost 10 years since there was a remote vunerability in OpenBSD in almost 10 years !!!!!!

first of all, on the internet,,, Linux and BSD is the majority, windows the minority,,, so out the window goes the target poulation theory... a server is also much more jucy to crackers than a home pc thats only turned on 2 hours a day.

So.....
the OpenBSD source code is free... it would even be legal for MS to use BSD source code in windows if they wanted to... (older versions of windows used the BSD source code in the TCP stack)

so why is windows so in-secure..
because its more profitable to blame script kiddies, blame the virus writers.... and continute to make maximum profits at minimum effors.

most Windows users dont even realsise BSD and Linux and Solaris exists...
they dont realise that the only reason virii exists, and de-fragmenting is needed every month is because it was easyer for microsoft to let you live in ignorance, accepting this crap as just a fact of computing.