xisto Community
OpaQue

Google Dominance Is Google getting too big?

But I am sometimes afraid of the fact that google is trying to take over the web. The got a monopoly and they have powers to induce rules. Lets take a simply example of Google Adsense advertisements, Now, I have been disabled many times. I created about 7 ids on diffrent names and address but finally they disabled it. The reason was practically ****. They said, that invalid clicks have been detected.I dont understand, when I havent clicked the ads then what is point in disabling my account. The worst part is that, they really do not give proof or explanation. Nor, I have recieved any specifc dates on which I got those invalid activity , nor did I recieve any reports from google. I think, I got a right to have them. The thing thats sucks is, they say that if they encounter any illegal activity, they give a warning mail first. Well, out of 8 accounts, I recieved warning mail only for the first time and I never got any warning email at all. They simply disabled the account in one stroke.After one month, I got my account disabled. Well, I gave google an average of 25,000 impressions a day and my CTR was about 0.1% ( too low ). Even though I had made arrangements for people to <- snipped -> I had never enforced them or I hadent warned anyone regarding it. I would like to see a tough competition for Google. So, they stop these acts. If google adsense had a very tough competitor, they would have thought twice before disabling any account, but since there is no one in the market, they are not enjoying the upper hand and happily crushing web publishers and webmasters. If I hadn't had these other advertising sources, I would have been compelled to shut down. [ may be this reply needs to be shifted to another appropriate topic relating to adsense or google ]}

Any company in Google's position would change like this, they've proven that they won't let themselves be seduced too much towards the commercial side like MSN or Yahoo. Therefore, I think we owe Google alot of gratitude. They remain an increadible quality even though they're so big.Google will soon become the major competator of MSN & Yahoo, meaning, Google will have to fight them. And that's where Google will need to be more careful of itself. It's true that all big companies need competators, if not, they fall for the weak side, money. Just like Microsoft and Yahoo have.I hope Google'll become dominant, so that they can give some serious punches to the web community, and the reason why I hope that, -me being against any dominant company- is that google seems to be decent. And I have the feeling that only though a dominating factor like google, the web world can change. Google will force MSN & Yahoo to become decent, or disappear. And when they do, Google will fade again. Marketting, is a game.

Google has all the right in the world to have such a dominance! It is simply the best search engine there is.. Although that "what did you mean thingy (i run google in dutch so i don't know what it is in english) " that suggests stuff (in case u mistyped thinks) is quite annoying sometimes. What would i want to see different? I would like google to improve their pagerank system, because it isn't perfect as it is right now.

well,due to spamming, the search results are being affected day by day. The google bomb thing also proved that google can be screwed ... Sometimes, teoma and alltheweb.com yeild better search results than google. Frankly, the pagerank technology is a very **** technology. Even though it is good at getting some nice sites on top, imagine, you with a large group created a whole big site on a single breed of a mosquito. Even though you will be providing a **** load of information, people wont find your site because a 20 year old web - PAGE has got 2000 links to it. While you being a newbie got only one or two.The page rank thing seems to favor the people who are on the internet from a very long time. what do you say :) ?

palestranger, about google being the best, I wouldn't be too sure. There are loads of other systems out there, which provide great results as well. Have you ever heard of Cluster Search Engines, for example? They work quite context based, they're a great alternative.Btw, it's not right for any company to dominate, because they may now be good, but you can impossibly say that they'll stay this way or even improve in the future. On the contrary, experience showed us that dominating companies only fell for advertising, marketting, and surrendered quality. Since everybody comes to them anyway, whether they have quality or not. They don't know any better. Perfect example is Microsoft.

I have oftenly heard people saying how reliable Google is but I still find yahoo.com is better.Can anyone tell me how to start a poll for search engines preferrences in order of preferrence sequence?----------------------------------------example (2 - Google1 - Yahoo!5 - alltheweb3 - Altavista4 - MSN)----------------------------------------Common list of Search EnginesGoogleYahoo!allthewebAltavistaMSNand so ....

I don't understand what you mean with "in order of preferrence sequence", what exactly do you want other from the default polls?

Let's say my most prefer serach engine is Yahoo! followed by Google, etc.Google (Select from drop box) = "Choice no. 2"Yahoo! (Select from drop box) = "Most Preferred"alltheweb (Select from drop box) = "Choice no. 4"Altavista (Select from drop box) = "Choice no. 3"MSN (Select from drop box) = "Never used it before"

Well, search engines are really a peice of wonder. Imagine, you search for a text that comes on to your mind and after searching for it on a search engine, you get the results within a fraction of a second. Searching the 4 billion web pages is not a joke. There will soon be better technologies than the *BLEEP* page rank.

In the internet world and in real life world both base on the same thoery in the game of survival.

The strongest survive.

You want to survive? Be as strong as you can in every way.

No one can definately be sure who is going to be the winner.

One thing for sure, last one standing is the winner.

:P

There is no last man standing, only ups and downs of companies. And the more they stay equal, the better for the community.