xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hast-webben

Web Browsers Which Browser type do u prefer?

Which Browser type do u prefer?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use Firefox 1.0 about 95% of the time. I liked Opera too until I somehow lost their tab feature. I'm also not too crazy about the banner on their free version. I do like Opera's skins, the zoom in/out feature and the handy "Paste and Go" right click option along with their other features. I mostly use Netscape and IE only to test my webpages.

If only I could've voted for 2. It's a tie for me but I voted IE anyway. All pages look fine on IE unlike in Firefox, there is still that "Firefox Compatibility Barrier", Firefox is not that generic yet. :P

If only I could've voted for 2. It's a tie for me but I voted IE anyway. All pages look fine on IE unlike in Firefox, there is still that "Firefox Compatibility Barrier", Firefox is not that generic yet.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, that is not Firefox's fault. It is the fault of IE having lots of bugs and then people writing for IE's bugs and therefore writing wrong code that doesn't work on anything else.

That being said, these days I rarely find a site that doesn't work on firefox.

Instead of designing a site for one browser, ex. internet explorer, you should make a site compatible with the top most browser, and make sure it's complient with the other browsers, if not perfect..*No internet-explorer-only javascript..

i've used almost all of them and my favoirte of them is opera. But no matter which browser i use for some reason after a month or two i still find myself using Internet Explorer instead.

Hmm. The Mac slice of this message board is really low. 9 pages and only two people have mentioned Safari.

I adore Safari.

But anyway, back to designing pages that are compatible with browsers, people please don't forget the Apple users. And the Linux users. (Although I'm not familiar with Linux browsers.... anyone else here uses Linux?)

The one thing you must note is that Internet Explorer for Mac is really really gross, but there ARE people who use it. IE for Mac is really old, Microsoft stopped development of it, but there are still websites out there that require IE (my school's server for one), and people on the Mac are sometimes using IE despite better browsers out there like Safari, Mozilla and Firefox. What may look good on IE for Windows might look really bad on IE for Mac. I know, I used to use IE when I was on Windows, and the webpage that I painstakedly tested on Netscape and IE looked totally different on my new Mac's IE (although it looked only slightly different on Safari).

iCapture for viewing pages in a Mac environment has already been mentioned, ieCapture is the cousin, for webdesigners on Macs. Also, Lynx Viewer is for viewing your site in text-based browsers (really cool and yet extremely disturbing sometimes).

But I think, in the end, the best way to make sure the site looks good is to use good, dependable code. Quite a few of my other sites turned out normal when I checked them with IE for Mac, because I like to stick to the very basic versions of codes and stay far far away from browser-specific code.

i'm fall in love for Firefox :D it's the best for me, i've also tried IE and Netscape and Mozilla but there's no way Firefox it's the best, i've seen only a thing Mozilla for linux seems faster than firefox for win -.-

I am a fan of Mozilla Firefox too but I would prefer Opera if they have an ad-blocking feature. That's the only thing that's keeping me away from it and take note Netscape 8.0 users...

Netscape's non-corporate developmentNetscape was the gold standard for browsers in the '90s, and now it's climbing back to the top on the shoulders of Mozilla. Recent versions of Netscape were based on the Mozilla browser, and the new Netscape 8.0 is a fancy version of Mozilla Firefox.

In case you're wondering how all this works, Netscape, which is owned by AOL, is an investor in the Mozilla project. In return, it gets to build its browsers based on the Mozilla code. This arrangement works well for Mozilla developers, giving them the resources to write good code with no corporate strings attached. Netscape also wins, as it wraps some corporate extras around Mozilla's efforts, resulting in what is essentially a heavier version of Firefox.

This arrangement demonstrates how true innovation may best occur outside a corporate environment. I can't help but wonder about this kind of application in other industries. For example, what if car companies funded independent labs that didn't have to think about things like demographics? Our cars would probably have the handling of a Ferrari and get the mileage of a Toyota Prius. That's an arrangement I could live with.

Wayne Cunningham
Senior Editor, CNET Download.com

No wonder I found them almost the same...