xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cru611

I DON'T NOT TO USE.

I DON'T KNOW TO USE FTP MODE. HELP ME PLEASE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You use an FTP Client to control FTP Sessions (When you've logged in with your client).

There's two ways to upload files, Binary (usually compiled programs) and ASCII (text based files and text interpretted). Most FTP Clients are programmed to notice file extensions, file types and correctly pick the right method for uploading content automatically so you don't have to manually force which mode unless it's not being correctly uploaded.

I recommend FileZilla for Windows, which is a very good FTP client.

The default port for FTP is 21 and is only different if for security reasons you don't want everyone knowing your FTP server even exists. You connect by filling in the information for your FTP server, the ftp address. e.g. ftp.yoursite.com, your username your password the port and that is it. Once you are connected, the default location is usually the root of your directory, your public_html directory or you could be given a level higher than this which is not shown as part of your web area. Your public_html directory is where your web content would go, you can alter permissions on your directory and files. For cgi scripts, you would upload them in your cgi-bin (ASCII, as it's text for the interpretter to read, as the interpretter doesn't understand binary), you would change permissions (chmod) to 755, which gives the owner full rights, the group and user only read/execute permissions.

With you client, you can do quite similar things as you can in Windows Explorer environment, creating directories, deleting, renaming etc. You can upload or download files from your ftp server.

Sometimes you need to set FTP to use passive if you're behind a NAT/Router (mostly for DSL users) but if the default works, then it should be OK to leave it as it is.

Cheers, MC