xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wannabeeaweak

Who Here Knows How To Encrypt Stuff

where can i go to get a program to encrypt my passwords and ussernames for my web site??????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you elaborate more on this topic, encrypt passwords for your website? How are you storing the passwords and is it for logging in or something else?

Cheers, MC

if it's for php, dan use md5 hashing or something like that. you cannot decrypt those!! so basicly, what you have to do, is encrypt your passwords in your file/database. and then when a user enters his password, you encrypt the word he entered and compare the two encrypted words. it's hypersafe :)

If you want to ecncrypt a file o a text try kremlin(http://www.kremlinencrypt.com/), there is also a little introduction to the different kind of cryptographic algorithms :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this site is hosted on a Linux server... (using shadow passwords) so they will automatically be hashed.

for other types of encryption...

a good program for public/private key pair encryption is GnuPG (GPG)

or for hard disk encryption there is a good script called cryptsetup (uses kenrel level dm-crypt)

Can you elaborate more on this topic, encrypt passwords for your website?  How are you storing the passwords and is it for logging in or something else?

Cheers, MC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its for passwords and usernames i need it so people will not be able to find out wut the persons password and i need it so i can send people files ans stuff

you're still not very clear.answer these questions:-where should the usernames & pw be stored? mysql database? file?-where do the users enter their name/password? php-website, like a form? or a program they download and connects to your server?-do you have to be able to decrypt them? this is NOT neccessary to check if their password is correct. let's say you store the encrypted version of username & pw. and a user is entering his info. than all you have to do is encrypt the info he entered and then compater it with the info in your database/file-why encrypt the username? doesn't seem very handy to me.

you're still not very clear.

answer these questions:

-where should the usernames & pw be stored? mysql database? file?

-where do the users enter their name/password? php-website, like a form? or a program they download and connects to your server?

-do you have to be able to decrypt them? this is NOT neccessary to check if their password is correct. let's say you store the encrypted version of username & pw. and a user is entering his info. than all you have to do is encrypt the info he entered and then compater it with the info in your database/file

-why encrypt the username? doesn't seem very handy to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sending Files securely..... you probably mean you want to encrypt them right ?

use GnuPG (GPG)

goto https://www.gnupg.org/

I would probobly recommend PHP's MD5 hashing functions for encrypting web-based content. The only problem that this might cause is that it is a one-way encryption algorithm; meaning that it can never be decrypted. As such, it is only really useful for passwords, where the user enters a password and it is re-hashed using the same algorithm and salt, and then the two hashed strings are compared.