xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chronogamer28

Need Help With Setting Up A phpBB Board On My Site need help with this

It's easy my friend, there are two ways, if you want phpbb, just go to the control panel, under preinstalled scripts and choose addon scripts, and there is phbb preinstalled, just pick a name for a folder in your site, and install.

If you want more advanced version with more advanced features you can go to http://www.phpbb2.de/
'>PHPBB2, and download this version, then you have to upload all files and the next time when you go to the installation folder, (example: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
'>
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
) will be appear the installation setup, and some data to configure in order to work, if you are confused with settings I can help you.

It's easy my friend, there are two ways, if you want phpbb, just go to the control panel, under preinstalled scripts and choose addon scripts, and there is phbb preinstalled, just pick a name for a folder in your site, and install.

If you want more advanced version with more advanced features you can go to PHPBB2, and download this version, then you have to upload all files and the next time when you go to the installation folder, (example: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ) will be appear the installation setup, and some data to configure in order to work, if you are confused with settings I can help you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said, it's really an easy thing to do when the host has a CPanel like Xisto. I thought it would be hard but just some click of the mouse and BAAAAAAM! Installed. :) Oh well, you need some knowledge about PHP when applying some advanced hacks though. :)

If U have some Php script knowledge, it's ok, but You can even hack most of the features supported by PhpBB without any knowledge about PHP. I've hacked most of features for my board such as: photo gallary add-on, quick-reply, link-exchange, phpBB portal, etc even if I don't know a bit about PHP.

All that you can remember in hacking phpBB is backup, carefulness and following instructions.

Backup: Save all original file (going to be edited) to other places other than the server in case your hacked file have problems and you cannot restore.

Carefulness: Be aware of your error. Test the hack steps by steps to see what is your errors ( If you don't check, you will not know on what section your script is erroneous. Be patient !!! Sometimes I spent fewdays to hack a mod related to many files and database.

Following instructions: Try to read hack instructions carefully before doing the editing.

If you want some hacks for your phpBB board, go to https://www.phpbb.com/ or http://www.phphacks.com/ to download and try some out.

phpbb isn't really that hard to install. You basically upload the files and set the folder/file permissions. But if you don't want to do it that way...

I think Fantastico has it. Try going there and finding phpbb. Then all your have to do is select where you want to install it.

You can find phpbb2 themes/skins at the following link:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

where can i get phpbb2 skins??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You get tons of skin in the two sites I gave above. Be careful when you change skins for phpBB ! If you have hacked some mods for the board, make sure that your skin folder have the correspondent .tpl file for that mod, and modified .tpl file should be updated to the upcoming skin folder.

Hi...i dont know how to install phpbb...

I'm using apache server with window xp pro...

Help!!!

I cannot start new threat!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you want to install it locally on your computer or in a website for everyone to see? Sounds like you want to do this on your computer only, so I will go with that.

Some questions first:

1. Do also have MySQL and PHP installed? Without these other two componenets your phpBB Forum won't work. They need the database and the PHP scripting language.

2. If you installed those already, did you run the installation file/process? There is an installation tutorial on how to install phpBB here.

Assuming you only want to install this locally, all you have to do is install Apache (which you said you have), PHP, and MySQL. Then unzip the contents of the phpBB file to a folder. I think you may have to move this folder to the main root in Apache (or was it PHP?) called htdocs. Move it there and run the install.php script from your browser. For example, type in localhost/phpBB/install/install.php (assuming you called the folder, you unzipped the files to, phpBB). That should get you on the installation screen. Everything there should be self-explanatory. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Hmmm. Not sure, but I could start a new thread here. I don't recall this being for hosted members only. Try again. If it still fails, I guess you may use this topic/thread instead.

As weaponx said .. all goes true if u need a PHP site running on ur computer .. i tried that in the first before i got my hands on Xisto .. but i guess u would be better off with a host if u prefer not going tru all the trouble lol ..

Like everyone here said that u need PHP and MySql installed on the PC you are going to host the site on .. i just had this site to suggest

>> XAMPP <<

Other users can give u alternate softwares but this seems to be the best out there so far .. XAMPP has MySQL, PHP 4 and 5 that you can switch if you application doesn't like PHP 5. It also includes Tiny Perl, a mail server and phpMyAdmin and File Zilla Server It is a large program but it is the easiest install for a local machine, and it is free.

Hope this info helped ya and a few others ..

Cheers :D

Definately get XAMPP even though the newest version does not fire your browser like the older versions so I added that feature from an old version.

I bought a book that had instructions on installing PHP and MySQL and managed after a couple of weeks to finally make it work and then Apache 2 came out and I had to reconfigure it but whilst looking through some sites I found XAMPP and have been using it for over a year and I would not even think of configuring Apache with PHP and MySQL, FileZilla, PERL, Tomcat, and all the extra stuff it come with...it is a 23 to 26 meg download but the install is a breeze.

Get XAMPP the link again is XAMPP HOME (English)