xisto Community
chronogamer28

LCD Monitors

I have a 18" Sony FullSync TFT-LCD...Nice signature....

For those unaware what an LCD Monitor is, let me explain...

LCD stands for Liquid Crystalline/Crystal Display. The main advantage of LCD displays is that they take up less desk space and are lighter. Currently, however, they are also much more expensive. Until 1997 they were exclusive to laptops...

I have a BenQ FP767-12 17" I think that's nice one because of the 12 ms responce time and cool design . That's good in Quake 3 and other action games

I have an ancient NEC LCD monitor- got it for free when my office upgraded to new computers ^__^ Unfortunately, it sucks- highest resolution is not very high at all, and it's only about 15". Then again, no complaints- my other option was blowing $500 on an Apple display, so I'm quite content with my present monitor.

I have an Hyundai LCD monitor, it is convieniently small and portable taking up far less space then my old analog monitor which is a huge box. LCD monitors make you computer enviroment more comfortable and enjoyable. Prices of LCD monitors are rapidly going down as with all electronic appliances.

LCD monitors have a much higher contrast ratio and much sharper image than CRT monitors. Unfortunately this also means that unless you run at high resolutions things tend to seem more pixelated. Personally, however, I find the higher contrast ratio much preferable to CRT monitors. The only downfall is still the horizontal viewing angle, however. For those with LCD monitors, just walk to the side a little, or view it from above the monitor, and it will appear dark or in strange colors (less common now, mostly just darkens) and becomes hard to see. But for the person in front of it it is wonderful. Plus they take up less space, wiegh less, and can potentially have a thinner bezel.

I prefer CRT TFT,  have a 19" Flat that cost less than 15" LCD.

so i don have one..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah me too. LCD's may be the newest thing out, and have the best picture quality and all that other crap.... but when you take into account the life span, viewing angle, reliability, cost and all that compared to CRT monitors... CRT's seem to come out on top. And you get a good new flat screen monitor and the difference in picture quality is hardly noticeable compared to LCD... so unless you can really afford it, or desperately need to save desk space... an LCD is not worth the money.

Just my opinion though... I'm sure others have their opinions on why LCD's are so much better.

Yeah me too. LCD's may be the newest thing out, and have the best picture quality and all that other crap.... but when you take into account the life span, viewing angle, reliability, cost and all that compared to CRT monitors... CRT's seem to come out on top. And you get a good new flat screen monitor and the difference in picture quality is hardly noticeable compared to LCD... so unless you can really afford it, or desperately need to save desk space... an LCD is not worth the money.

Just my opinion though... I'm sure others have their opinions on why LCD's are so much better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, for people who work at their computers for long amounts of time, the LCD is much easier on the eyes due to the way the sceen is refreshed. Also, if you are a college student moving every so often, an LCD is nice cause it doesn't weigh 50 pounds.

Well, for people who work at their computers for long amounts of time, the LCD is much easier on the eyes due to the way the sceen is refreshed.  Also, if you are a college student moving every so often, an LCD is nice cause it doesn't weigh 50 pounds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In addition to the conveinte size and weight, I like the look, they are so much brighter and have a crisp look. I have and LCD on my computer. It's a 12" Apple LCD monitor on my iBook. So I guess you were probably talking about LCD monitors on a desktop, but thats okay. :) It's an older monitor and only goes up to 600 x 800.

In addition to the conveinte size and weight, I like the look, they are so much brighter and have a crisp look.  I have and LCD on my computer.  It's a 12" Apple LCD monitor on my iBook.  So I guess you were probably talking about LCD monitors on a desktop, but thats okay.  :)  It's an older monitor and only goes up to 600 x 800.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, on 'good' CRTs, the contrast ration, crispness, and brightness are better than on LCDs, but thats on 'good' CRTs, which few people own.

I have an 17" LCD monitor, one of the standards that came with my Gateway (and no I do not have problems with Gateway; they aren't the horrible company everyone makes them out to be).The image quality, brightness, and contrast ratio appear to be much better than any CRT I have seen. The colors are outstanding, and the images are crisp and clear.However, I hear that they aren't as good as CRTs for gaming. Due to slower response times, LCDs are supposedly inferior to the time-tested CRT. LCDs are getting faster, though; I know that NEC makes some LCD monitors with faster response times for gaming.

i dont know where you live, but my LCD is soooo great! its just a 15' but its really fast! 9ms! that really enough for gaming! on the market are LCDs which are bicgger tahn 17' and have the same reaction time! LCDs are so good now.. ok in later days they was not so good and you could see the mouse were it was 10seconds ago :) but now i have to say the quality is perfekt!