xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chronogamer28

Two of my favorite programs to run

Two of my favorite alternative programs to run are Mozilla Firefox and Trillian messenger service.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Basically, lets you talk to people using AIM, MSN, ICQ, Y!, and IRC

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
An alternative browser to Internet Explorer (for you Windows people out there)

Two of my favorite alternative programs to run are Mozilla Firefox and Trillian messenger service.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are some Great Open Source Free alternativs to Triliian....

Gaim and Kopete are great multi-protocal chat clients that support all the usual MSN YAHOO ICQ JABBER IRC and a load more ive never heard of...

Gaim is available at gaim.sourceforge.net.. its FREE, and OPEN SOURCE... source code, and pre-compiled versions exist for download for Windows and Linux.

Kopete is a much better client in my opinion, and comes as part of the KDE-Network package from Kde.org

(only available for Every operating system except windows :))

Firefox is also my Favorite Web Browser....

Also Thunderbird for email CLient.

I Hear that Firefox is Growing in use and popularity even faster than Microsotfs IE is being droped.

Yeah, I think that the reason being is that IE has many potential weaknesses that are fixed in SP2. But since many people do not want to install SP2, they are switching to an alternative browser.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a dual boot machine.... Linux for me, WIndows for the family.

i use IE when im performaing the usual maintenence on XP, but i dont like it.

its not so much the security, its the adware... osmehow, 5 diffeerent pieces of adware have atached themselves to IE !

ive got the normal URL bar, then a google Search Bar, a Yahoo Search Bar... a Bargin Summthing Search Bar !

its mad !

a while ago i needed to un-bluck popups... so i turned it off in IE... but still the site wasnt working... i eventoually found out each searchbar had its own as blocker !

also... i just cant work without tabbed broswing... im always using several sites at once..

and having serveral Ie's running at once just grinds the system to a hault... not to menton the clutter factor.

Yeah, that's the same with me. I upgrade my computer, and then one day, I find these random toolbars on IE. Terrible! Also, I read in PCWorld that the Department of Homeland Security has declared that IE is potentially unsafe to run on your computers. What a blow to Microsoft!

Yeah, that's the same with me. I upgrade my computer, and then one day, I find these random toolbars on IE. Terrible! Also, I read in PCWorld that the Department of Homeland Security has declared that IE is potentially unsafe to run on your computers. What a blow to Microsoft!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah... Firefox got a great Kick in populariity when slashdot reported that many security advisors switched there advice from keeping the firewall on, and keep automatic update on, and all the usual to Stop using IE, and download and use firefox...

There was a quote of one systems admin putting stickers on all montors saying "Dont Touch the Blue E"

which got passed around alot, and even made the subject of a few a wallpapers on kde-look.org.

i actually find all this quite funny !!!

a good example of irony !

a long time ago, there was the broser wars... MSIE vs Netscape Navigator... and Just like the Old VHS vs BETAMAX, the superior product lost the war...

in the VHS case, i dont know why, im too young... but with the browsers, it all ended for Netscape when MS started integrating IE into Widnows...

anyways.. in the death throws of Netscape, it relased its source code as open source, and began the development of a few open source browsers...

Years later.... Netscapes great great granddaughter.... firefox, is back with avengence and kicking *bottom* !

they should make a spoof movie about it !

no.. I SHOULD make a spoof flash animation about it !

somthing like DIE HARD ! or well.. i dunno.. surgestons ?

Open Source Alternatives, Baby!FTP: FilezillaBrowser: Firefox, got this since Mozilla is too "heavy". I've been using this since version 0.6 or something. I'm trying to remember the names. Phoenix, Firebird, Firefox.Office: Openoffice or StarOffice, microsoft office costs too much. I should just download it from suprnova though.

Errrr...Alternatives for Downloading:Flashget(Latest) [Registered]Modified BitTorrent [rocks!]Kazaa Gold Premium [Registered]Alternative for Browsing:MSN Explorer (although it is still using internet explorer's core)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I myself have been using both programs, Mozilla Firefox & Trillian for about 2 years now and lately i switched my mail client from Netscape to Mozilla Thunderbird. If you're using Firefox, Thunderbird is a great "sidekick". It has very good filtering against junk mail and it also has Themes & Extensions that you can download to customize it. =)