xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chronogamer28

Longhorn Windows Longhorn

I've heard a lot about the development of Microsoft's Windows Longhorn project. Can anyone shed some more light to me about what's new in Longhorn? I currently run XP Professional so I'm planning to buy Longhorn to upgrade.

I've heard a lot about the development of Microsoft's Windows Longhorn project. Can anyone shed some more light to me about what's new in Longhorn? I currently run XP Professional so I'm planning to buy Longhorn to upgrade.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its a bit early to be planning !

your going to have to wait anouther couple of years !

Longhorn WAS going to be a big change !

there was a great new filesystem called WinFS.

what winFS was going to do, was chnage the way you use your Home directory,

instead of seperating you files in a hierachy.. for example..

$HOME/music/

$HOME/music/Rock

$HOME/music/classical

$HOME/work

$HOME/work/Project1

$HOME/work/Project1/documentA

$HOME/work/Project1/documentB

$HOME/work/Project2

all files would be saved in one place, and you would open files based on a database system.

the advantages... would be that instead of giving a file name... you could open a media player, then tell it to play Music Files, with Keywors Relaxing... and the media player would open all music that you told it you find relaxing.

or you could open MS Office, and instead of a file name, tell it to open the project you were working on yesterday.

However the Critics said Ms had set the bar too high... they were right.

Longhorn will NOT be shipped with WinFS.. however they are still planning to add winFS as a service pack maybe in 2012 (from memory)

Also, they are completely replacing DirectX.

i believe it will be called Avalon, and all graphics wether it be the desktop windows, or 3D games will use Avalon....

im not sure what this emans for my beloved OpenGL... but i do know it will be in favor of MS is OpenGL was done away with...

(currently, OpenGL games are quite easy to port to MacOSX / Linux / Unix.. if all games were only Avalon / DirectX capable, then ms would have an added advantage on the Games market)

Basically..... in my opinion... Longhorn will look and feel and have all the same features as XP...

But for developers, there will be Huge changes...

Death of the .NET framework..... (or a big upgrade)

i don know if the new API sets will be any easyer, but i have heard developers are not looking forward to MS making all there knoledge on the old API sets opsolite.

Woah woah woah wait... they're getting rid of the .NET framework? I thought Longhorn was the next iteration of the .NET framework...And shipping WinFS in a future service pack in 2012 is crazy. Longhorn will be 6 years old by then! I think you mean a much more earlier date.DirectX has NOTHING to do with OpenGL based games. THey might render correctly and unless Microsoft does something like reverse compatibility, Direct3D based games (yes, even OpenGL games since they use DirectSound) will not completely work at all.Oh yeah, i've seen an early build of longhorn. One of my friends got a PDC build by going to a conference. WinFS took a lot of memory up (180MB of RAM/180MB of Virtual memory)

TECHNICALLY, your response falls into the same category as "I agree"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course, TECHINALLY, that's not what it means downright. I'm saying

1. Thanks for posting up info

2. Being shocked at the amount of changes and new tech

3. Agreeing with him on some of the issues discussed with Longhorn.

Oh man, I haven't heard about Windows Longhorn until I joined this forum and seen this post. :) Well, I hope they do release it in 2006, i'm very eager to use it - I hope they won't make another delay again. BTW, thanks for the post. :)

I heard that Longhorn was only delayed until 2005 because they were planning to include the WinFS system with Longhorn. Unfortunately, they couldn't get WinFS to be compatible with all of Longhorn's systems, so they had to delay it to try to make it work better between the two of them.

I heard that Longhorn was only delayed until 2005 because they were planning to include the WinFS system with Longhorn. Unfortunately, they couldn't get WinFS to be compatible with all of Longhorn's systems, so they had to delay it to try to make it work better between the two of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the words used by a windows beta terster describing longhorn's winFS capabilities were that MS was going to "serverely scale back winFS"

although some winFS code will be in longhorn, the feature will not be activated.

ive Used a Linux implementation of WinFS... and i was not very impressed !

didnt like haveing to write down keywords and short descriptions when i saved files...

ii prefere just so save-AS ad give it a file name,...

Someone was talking about OpenGL and Direct3D...

these are both Graphics Libraries.... its Just that OpenGL is portable, and DirectX is not.

The End result ot these graphics libraries are very similar to the end user, but very different from the developers view..

Ut2004 for Windows used DIrect3D but the Linux Version used OpenGL.. hand up who could tell the difference.