xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Milk

Cloning

I've done a little research project on cloning, so I know the very simply basics of how it works, and through the research, I had come across some controversial aspects of such a science.Of course, first you gotta know how it works? This was an experiment that was actually carried out by scientists, cloning a mouse:Lets say you wanna clone a mouse (:D. You have to take a nucleus-free egg of mouse A(donor mouse), then take the nucleus of a somatic cell from mouse B, place the nucleus of mouse B into the nucleus-free egg of mouse A, mitosis happens and the cell develops into an embryo, then put the egg into a surrogate mother and pregnancy begins and you have a clone of mouse B!This process would be the same with human cloning.Moving on...There are people who like cloning because it allows for "extra organs" to be available for use in case someone needs oh..I dunno, a heart transplant or something. Or someone needs a liver. You know. And that's a good thing, because it saves lives. (Note, this process isn't cloning a person, then killing them for an organ...it's just the cloning of an organ.) There's also the fact that you can help those who cannot bear children, by cloning a child for them. >__> Of course, I'm sure most of you think that cloning would involve a direct clone of like, YOU, but no. When you clone someone, the clone would end up being a baby and might not even be the same as you because of the environment surrounding them. They would just be genetically identical to you. There's also the thing about bringing dead people back to life...o_OHowever, cloning has problems like it only has a 2 percent success rate, and sometimes the embryos can have problems, or the baby could be born dead, etc. And there's that whole thing with people thinking they could talk to themselves and have their own genetically identical twin so they think it's wrong blah blah..But what do you guys think? Is it right? Wrong? If science and technology enables us to (and if the law enables us to), should we do it? (human cloning that is...since plant cloning has been going on since forever...)

where it says "Lets say you wanna clone a mouse (:D." it's supposed to be "mouse " but the emoticons.....

I love how it helps save lives, but what I don't like is that you could have two identical people on the earth and that defeats the purpose of yourself being unique if they have your form and mental abilities. Also, people do graft organs and skin samples from dead people already. But wouldn't the brain cells be dead (not the tissue, the actual neurons) by the time you get to it?

I don't think you need any of that. All you need is the DNA, and since DNA is one of the most stable molecules, it can last a really long time. But I really don't know. I didn't go THAT much into the research you know. =P

I do not think that we need tom tampering with this. The farther we try to push the boundaries of physics and whatelse I think could lead to the end of the human race. This next part has to deal with another topic too. I saw an equation by a scientest that worked perfectly. I will not right out the equation but the answer said that if we can outlive are technology that we are 1 of an infinite number of life in the universe. But if we can not we are 1 of no life in the universe.

Hey, it'd be a fast way to raise an army. Take one perfect specimen and replicate. It has its ups and downs, but if allowed only for medical purposes, it could work wonders.

At this stage it is hard for people to accept cloning into the society because of its success rate. Cloning could be very very useful once successful, and of course its not going to be all good for the reason that everything has a con tagging with it. I have had debates about cloning in college and the thing I've learned is that many societies would not be willing to accept this because it is not a natural phenomenon. Some religious groups only follow what's given by the creator. Of course I was against this notion. I would definately side for coloning. Technology brings about so many ways to curb for the problems we have. This technology might help people who have lost body parts to regain them. Cloning could help produce the perfect species of any subject matter. Of course that is going to take a while now and I personally thing that cloning is going to be a very important aspect in the future and many people will depend on it untill it completely integrates into the society as a normal function of the society. :D

I don't think cloning is ethical. Consider this....There can be several birth defects and problems with the cloned person's immune system. He probably would be severely mutated, or he would not be able to survive very long. All we would be doing is creating a miserable life for someone to live. It would be sad. I'm against cloning unless we can find a way to perfect it.

I don't think cloning is ethical. Consider this....

There can be several birth defects and problems with the cloned person's immune system. He probably would be severely mutated, or he would not be able to survive very long. All we would be doing is creating a miserable life for someone to live. It would be sad. I'm against cloning unless we can find a way to perfect it.

57371[/snapback]

But you could say the exact same thing about natural births. Thousands of babies born today have mild to severe birth defects and issues... What it seems like you're saying is that while cloning is unethical, so is natural birth o_O

There are millions of children that die a few hours after birth. Same with still borns.

A cloned child is exactly the same as a normal child, except the cells were distributed by a manual human hand rather than by natural fertilization...

Cloned animals aren't exactly born mutated. There are several confounding variables that could possible occur such as the cell didn't divide properly, or there were chromosome mess ups and such, but otherwise...

And there really is no way to 'perfect' cloning. It's just there. After the rearrangement, it's all cells doing their jobs.