xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

meaningful topics

i understand that i must post 50 topics to receive this free host BUT, how many topics could one person really want to post? way to many if u ask me...but ur not so i guess i'll play along...but not all of my post will be helpful...miguel134@msn.com

You do not have to create 50 Topics, you just have to post 50 posts whether they be in your own topics or others. To be counted they have to be good posts no yes or no answers, at least a couple of lines. It is not that hard to post 50 posts i have nearly done it, just post replys to things that you know the answer to or give options to how they could help themselves. If you do not know simply do not post. You will get 50 posts in the end. if you need urgent hosting just post 10 really good posts and apply for the starter package.

You do not have to create 50 Topics, you just have to post 50 posts whether they be in your own topics or others. To be counted they have to be good posts no yes or no answers, at least a couple of lines. It is not that hard to post 50 posts i have nearly done it, just post replys to things that you know the answer to or give options to how they could help themselves. If you do not know simply do not post. You will get 50 posts in the end. if you need urgent hosting just post 10 really good posts and apply for the starter package.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks...good to know..and i guess i could hang in there and receive the full account...:)

The whole purpose to create a community.  That's why there's the emphasis on meaningful posts.  It really shouldn't take too long to reach 50 posts.  I'm halfway there and I've only been posting for three days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OPINION ALERT !!!!

in my opinion, a forced community is a poor one.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ or http://www.developerfusion.com/

in these forums i also belong to, there is no incentive to post...

just post if you want to help and know the enswers.

these sites have excellent community's

here, people are driven to post to get free hosting..

and lets face it... ive seen people post infomation they later admit to knowing is in accurate !

ive seen so called "how-to's and tutorials" about how to get yahoo working behind your firewall... where the answer is "hey... when yahoo asks if you are behind a firewall.. answer yes"

ive seen C++ beginner tutorials written by people who are newbies, and barely understand themselvs.

writing terrible code thats going to confuse other newbies !

i saw a piece of code that basically decided wether a number was even or odd... instead of a small IF statement dividing by 2 and looking for a remiander, they wrote a HUGE switch case statement.... returning somthing for odd number, somthing else for even numbers.

people have been posting at every opertunity.. advising others who are contemplating using linux with answers like "hey, i never used it... but here's my opinion anyways"

people are answering questions that no1 has asked.

i dont think that the information here is useless... i just thing this forced community is diluting the usefull information too much.

are there any other people here that belong to other forum "communities" ?

do you also notice this trend ?

OPINION ALERT !!!!

in my opinion, a forced community is a poor one.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ or http://www.developerfusion.com/

in these forums i also belong to, there is no incentive to post...

just post if you want to help and know the enswers.

these sites have excellent community's

here, people are driven to post to get free hosting..

and lets face it... ive seen people post infomation they later admit to  knowing is in accurate !

ive seen so called "how-to's and tutorials" about how to get yahoo working behind your firewall... where the answer is "hey... when yahoo asks if you are behind a firewall.. answer yes"

ive seen C++ beginner tutorials written by people who are newbies, and barely understand themselvs.

writing terrible code thats going to confuse other newbies !

i saw a piece of code that basically decided wether a number was even or odd... instead of a small IF statement dividing by 2 and looking for a remiander, they wrote a HUGE switch case statement.... returning somthing for odd number, somthing else for even numbers.

people have been posting at every opertunity.. advising others who are contemplating using linux with answers like "hey, i never used it... but here's my opinion anyways"

people are answering questions that no1 has asked.

i dont think that the information here is useless... i just thing this forced community is diluting the usefull information too much.

are there any other people here that belong to other  forum "communities" ?

do you also notice this trend ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry for moving the board, some useful information has been posted but it was not a tutorial of some sort and didn't belong there.

I like your points qwijibow, but I wasn't forced into this community.

I always wanted to write tutorials, but never knew where to begin, until I heard of this place, there are many knowledgable people around, and I'm hoping this forum will bring them together, and maybe gain or build something together.

Basically, I am at this forum because I like sharing knowledge, I'm also a contributor on a PC World forum, Press F1, where people ask questions about problems they have or information they need on computers/etc, but the knowledge we share is only to help them solve their problems, it's not really a place to express what you know (although they do recognise the helpers more), unless it's in an answering tone to their question.

Now you do have to stay active even after you get your hosting, and that's ok if you like what you do here. It's also something that you've decided upon on joining this community and going by the rules. You knew what you were getting into when you joined here. We don't want you to feel pressured that you must write tutorials, just useful posts, if you're agreeing with someone or disagreeing, give good reasons to back yourself up. If you're recommending a product, explain what's good about it, don't say that it's just good. A lot of single line posts have to be removed and it's sad that if they just added more information to it, they could have kept their post count.

Well, just make sure you write useful information, it's not hard to add extra information onto anything, If you're going to ask a question, ask it and state what you know of it already, and why you would like to know and last but not least, please for the admins/moderators sake, choose a suitable location that you think your post should go in.

Cheers, MC

I'm here for the hosting, I would be a hypocrite to say that i'm not, but not for that sole purpose, I also joined this community for learning and contributing purposes. I thought that it would be good to participate in communities like this, gives me an opportunity to learn new things about computer and stuff and help others too. :)

well... erm.. meaningful posts, yes right.. the last few days there has bearly been any activity, so, the people that want be active aren't able to do so, and my inspiration is very low indeed ! sorry:(

well... erm.. meaningful posts, yes right.. the last few days there has bearly been any activity, so, the people that want be active aren't able to do so, and my inspiration is very low indeed ! sorry:(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree, by the way this host is made for professional and talented ppl according to OpaQue. so you are force to create a good topics to discuss with someone. well i'm not a pro, also not talented just waiting for someone, a pro or talented one to share his/her talent :)