xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
OrbitPoints

VBScript vs JScript vbscript...is it ever used?

I have used Jscript every since I started web development, why did m$ make vbscript? Are there any advantages to using it? Is it abandoned now? I have never seen any site use it.

hmmm.both are scripting languages that can be used within ASP pages. there's a lot of documentation out there on using VBscript with ASP. however, VBscript can only run properly on IE. so if you're designing pages which you want to work with other browsers such as netscape, use jscript.

VBscript is just another attempt by Microsoft to monopolize the industry, so I would suggest never using it, as it's only compatible with IE. Despite the fact that Javascipt could be disabled on webpages by the user, at least it works in most, if not all, browsers.

don't confuse php & vbscript, it are both totally different things.vbscript runs clientside, unless you use it inside asp pages with the runat server directive.if you are looking for a reason, i'd agree with zarjay, + the fact that vbscript is more adapted to the microsoft system that jscript is.jscript is far more universal, so i'd advise you to use jscript as much as possible.

I have used Jscript every since I started web development, why did m$ make vbscript? Are there any advantages to using it? Is it abandoned now? I have never seen any site use it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Both VBScript and JScript are Microsoft scripting languages, you should use JavaScript instead, JScript was MS's attempt to push JavaScript out of the scene as competition but it didn't do so well. VBScript, well, stay clear of it, this is also a script used by virus writers and is not only effective on the web. .ASP is based on VBScripting, so it's quite similar in syntax.

You may not see VBScripts as it's only supported by IE, I'm not sure of any other browsers who went onboard for this scripting language. So you should consider it abandoned, obsolete...

Cheers, MC

right, i forgot about jscript! i always say jscript to stay short and spare me from typing, but it's a totally different thing than javascript!so all the times i said jscript, i meant javascript. hehe.

vb script is not obsolete, and as long ms support vb it will still exist. anyway it is use by malicious site who hate ie. beware :). and wsh(window scripting host), ms office and other ms product have a support to vb script. it can be use with any purpose good or bad :)

Well, for one thing, many people have supported JS, wholly of its compatibility and safety. Frankly speaking, VB script is not very effective, not as powerful as JS and is horrifically cut down by a whole lot from the original VB6. VB is good, but VBS has just been a push by Microsoft to get into scripting. They did a messy job of it. Even MS IE 6 has some bugs with VBS.

Stick to JS. It's nice and simple. Ther more simple, the better to code.