xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chickenside

Changing your IP?

Is it possible to change my IP? I didn't think it was but apparently you can do it without contacting your ISP. I heard you run cmd.exe, then type ipconfig/release, then close it, wait awhile the type ipconfig/renew. Is this possible? If not how can I do it, can I just unplug my modem for a day then I might have anew IP?

What do you need it for? If you need it for a website for maybe, you got banned from, you can use a proxy. There's a tutorial in the howtos section. If you need a universal one, I'm not really sure. DSL has dynamic ips and cable has static ips, so Im guessing you use cable. I use cable and my ip changes around every few months.

Is it possible to change my IP? I didn't think it was but apparently you can do it without contacting your ISP. I heard you run cmd.exe, then type ipconfig/release, then close it, wait awhile the type ipconfig/renew. Is this possible? If not how can I do it, can I just unplug my modem for a day then I might have anew IP?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This can work if you're DHCP enabled, but it sounds as if you want your own static IP. You can usually assign IP addresses on your internal network, but if you want to be able to get to it across the internet, you'd need to get a static IP from your ISP or register a domain.

js :)

You can specify an IP in your network settings but if it doesn't match the IP your ISP gave you, you won't be able to get on the internet. There's really no way to ask for a specific IP address unless your ISP offers you a range to choose from (which I HIGHLY doubt will ever happen).If you have a home network or something, you can set up internal IPs no problem. I've done that a number of times before.

I use dsl and have a static ip so not all dsl is dynamic. also I think you can trick any kind of service into thinking you are on a different ip by using wins server, I have heard stuff about it and tried it I just couldn't connect all the peices or the wins server I was trying to use was blocking my requests or down? Anyone have any comments? If you know what I was doing wrong then please let me know it would come in handy (not for illegal activities) but for preventing being able to connect on battle.net they have a lot of phantom real downs trying to catch cheaters they think everyone cheats I guess.

if you WANT a static IP well, you cant always have one... but the best substitute is DynDNS.orgSign up for a Free account, and download there Client software (and yes ! they even have a windows version !) The freee software grabs your IP on bootup, and sends it to your DynDNS account.you then choose a Domain Name... they have LOODS of great choises of free SubDomains..But there not the usual sub-Domains that have the company name in...for example....ANYTHING.homelinux.net or (.com or .org)ANYTHING.homeunix.net or (.com or .org)ANYTHING.gameserver.netANYTHING.gotdns.netANYTHING..... well goto there site for a full lst, there are LOOADS !I found this site just after signing up here... so untill i get 50 posts... im using my Own computer to Host my website !!!!!!FREE HOSTING.... UNLIMITED STOREAGE ! UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH !!!if you have a fastish internet connection, setting up your own web server is eeeeeeeeasy !however i would recomend using Linux.....my Intrusion Detection programs are logging quite a lot of Windows Specific Hack / Exploit attempts.i dont have any windows machines on my network... but i log the attempts just out of interest (and so i can mail the logs to the would be hackers ISP's)

Are there any benefits to changing your IP address? What exactally does an IP address do and why do we have them? Is it like web ID so people can track you or something? That's scarry... I don't think I want people to know my IP address... It feels like giving my name and address to a stranger... Is this true or Is my worrying futile????

It's a little worriesome, but mostly only if you're doing something you don't want to me caught doing ^__^ My campus has a nifty feature *sarcasm* where your comp has the same IP wherever you go. It's kind of good for me- now that I've memorized my IP address, I can connect from anyway- but bad bad bad if they want to track me for some reason.

Isp companies can still track you even if you have a dynamic ip. Every computer has a unique id. The isp just has look through their logs and find the ip addresses that have been used by that same id.

well..but when do u use static and when dynamic?  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're hosting a server for anything, then you'll probably want a static ip addresses. Other than that it doesn't matter which one you choose. Even if you're hosting a server, you can still use a dynamic ip address. You'll just have to use a dns service that links a hostname to your ip address.