xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
almoo7

Modem to Modem Internet Sharing A question about connection sharing...

Ummm, anyone here knows how I can share my internet connection through a dial-up connection?1st Computer:Windows XPDSL Connection(Router)56K Modem + Phone2nd Computer:Windows XPNo internet Connection56K Modem + PhoneAnyone knows how I can share the internet connection I have in the 1st computer to the 2nd computer by dialing up? I have tried setting up a config for incoming connections but internet connection sharing doesn't seem to work(that was, on my first DSL USB Modem)... I'm using a router now, is it possible? How?

Please do be aware that dialup is VERY slow. If you start to share the connection, speeds will dip to cringingly low levels. For example if you bandwidth throughput was at 2.4KB/s, technically if both computers are getting information you'll both have an average speed of 1.2KB/s.I would really highly recommend you switch to broadband.

I mean like, I want to be like a dial-up Internet Service Provider except that I only have 1 computer to serve and that is my other computer. My first computer has a broadband connection.

Well, the first computer is about 47 KM away from the second computer. The first computer is in a town where there is no internet connection because it is kinda remote... I wish there was a possibility that I could share my internet connection through dial-up. I heard it was possible by using NAT or something if you have a router. Just don't know where to get a guide or if what they claim is true...

Ummm, anyone here knows how I can share my internet connection through a dial-up connection?

1st Computer:

Windows XP

DSL Connection(Router)

56K Modem + Phone

2nd Computer:

Windows XP

No internet Connection

56K Modem + Phone

Anyone knows how I can share the internet connection I have in the 1st computer to the 2nd computer by dialing up? I have tried setting up a config for incoming connections but internet connection sharing doesn't seem to work(that was, on my first DSL USB Modem)... I'm using a router now, is it possible? How?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey almoo7,

The answer to you question is yes, I do know how you can share your internet connection through dial-up connection, but it requires two phone lines, I couldn't understand what you meant with + Phone on the end of each modem, because 1 modem dials your phone line (like dialing into your ISP) and the other computers modem picks it up (just like being an ISP), I don't know the correct term of this, but I've always called it dial-in servers, you should probably search for more information on this. Now when the other computer picks it up, it's acting like a server on a network, and then all it does is allow you access onto your other internet connection which would be the DSL router, or network connection to gateway (router), however it would route to that connection.

Although this method is quite slow, as the modem that dials in can only connect at your modem's upload speed which would give it a connection of approx 33.6bps or 4.2KB/s and that's approx how much you can expect.

How to do this, well Windows XP has the ability to do this and it's quite simple, on the server computer (one with router):

right-click My Network Places, choose Properties, Double-click New Connection Wizard, choose Set Up Advanced Connection and then choose Accept incoming connections There could be more instructions to do afterwards but I hope you can handle it.

There is a problem whenever the phone rings though, your computer will automatically pick it up and start buzzing and chirping to whatever is on the other end (maybe a normal phone call). You have to make sure you enable/disable it when needed, and that's usually when you know the other computer is definitely calling.

Well I hope this helps you partially.

Cheers, MC

Hey almoo7,

The answer to you question is yes, I do know how you can share your internet connection through dial-up connection, but it requires two phone lines, I couldn't understand what you meant with + Phone on the end of each modem, because 1 modem dials your phone line (like dialing into your ISP) and the other computers modem picks it up (just like being an ISP), I don't know the correct term of this, but I've always called it dial-in servers, you should probably search for more information on this.  Now when the other computer picks it up, it's acting like a server on a network, and then all it does is allow you access onto your other internet connection which would be the DSL router, or network connection to gateway (router), however it would route to that connection.

Although this method is quite slow, as the modem that dials in can only connect at your modem's upload speed which would give it a connection of approx 33.6bps or 4.2KB/s and that's approx how much you can expect.

How to do this, well Windows XP has the ability to do this and it's quite simple, on the server computer (one with router):

right-click My Network Places, choose Properties, Double-click New Connection Wizard, choose Set Up Advanced Connection and then choose Accept incoming connections  There could be more instructions to do afterwards but I hope you can handle it.

There is a problem whenever the phone rings though, your computer will automatically pick it up and start buzzing and chirping to whatever is on the other end (maybe a normal phone call).  You have to make sure you enable/disable it when needed, and that's usually when you know the other computer is definitely calling.

Well I hope this helps you partially.

Cheers, MC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! Thanks! It did... I still need to research on some things though... But you gave me some idea. :) [edit] Hope someone can post some additional info here. How about configuring the NAT and stuff? :)

Please do be aware that dialup is VERY slow. If you start to share the connection, speeds will dip to cringingly low levels. For example if you bandwidth throughput was at 2.4KB/s, technically if both computers are getting information you'll both have an average speed of 1.2KB/s.

I would really highly recommend you switch to broadband.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do we setup dialup connection in Linux.

PPP protocol and what else???

My linux gives error that no modem is attached

and in the control panel i can see succesful installation of the modem with its proper type!

Tell me abt it!

thnx

How do we setup dialup connection in Linux.

PPP protocol and what else???

My linux gives error that no modem is attached

and in the control panel i can see succesful installation of the modem with its proper type!

Tell me abt it!

thnx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what is your linux provider...more details n what not and for your nat settings alamo nat is just something for firewall settings if you wanted to share your conneciton u'd need a long as cord or you the phone line kinda thing....I suggest buy to reallly big satalite dishes and use a wireless connection...but you'd need tons of cash for that...try to get your town to pay for it you could provide them all internet :)