xisto Community
helix1405241470

Free 3D modelling packages

Wow! I didn't know that there are a lot of 3D Rendering Softwares. I only have Bryce 5 3D at home and 3D Stuido Max. I started using Bryce 3D for the first time only this year and see the result of my curiosity. http://www.adworksgrfx.com.ph/ - And that was my very first 3D abstract art. B) hahaha I wish I could learn 3D modeling and maybe I could try some of the 3D softwares suggested here and hope someday I could join the bandwagon of great 3D artists and not just the Bryce abstract artists I am now. ;)

too bad you cant find gmax around on the autodesk site now, they have stopped offering it. Im sure if you search around you may still find a few copies along with the tutorials, help files, textures and extra plugins.I have used gmax before it it is extremely powerful especially in game editing, some games come with their own editor plugin package that loads straight into gmax for immediate editing and scripting (for some games). Its a shame autodesk stopped offering it though B)

There are a lot many 3d design softwares floating around and some of them are free. I recently encountered Blender (as some of the people above have suggested) - and I find it quite useful - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ also came across Wings 3d (http://www.wings3d.com/). This too is a free one, and quite easy to model. But you may have to export it to some other program (may try to export it to Blender or you may try Yafray), to get a decent render.I have tried my hand at both Blender and Wings3d. I find modelling in Wings 3d much easier, but if you are into Subdivision modelling, and do not want to worry about elimination of N-gons, I would suggest you use Blender. Blender ensures that you do not end up with a N-gon when you do a cut (knife or otherwise) on you model by introdusing quads, and triangles and poles.Note: Subdivision modelling is considered to be the follow up on NURBS modelling.

too bad you cant find gmax around on the autodesk site now, they have stopped offering it. Im sure if you search around you may still find a few copies along with the tutorials, help files, textures and extra plugins.I have used gmax before it it is extremely powerful especially in game editing, some games come with their own editor plugin package that loads straight into gmax for immediate editing and scripting (for some games). Its a shame autodesk stopped offering it though :ph34r:

You can find Gmax here Turbosquid, check under Game Tools. You only have to register and you'll get the key to your mail, and download it, together with help files, tutorials, and some free models and textures. It also has a forum for support, and if you want to buy for $9.95, quite cheap im ny opinion, there are several packages ready made for games with over 40 models each with people, cars, tanks, guns, helicopters, etc.