xisto Community
overture

Cleaning Laptop Screen How do i clean my laptop screen...

How do i clean my laptop screen. Is there a safe way to do it that will not damage it as they are expensive to replace i think. If anyone has any tips on how to do it or get rid of smudges that laptop screens get i would love to know.Thanks

Probably the safest way would be to check your laptop manufacturer's website for screen cleaning instructions.But what I usually do is get a soft cloth or anti-static cloth, damp it very slightly with water, and wipe gently.

If there is a manufacturing defect on your LCD screen then I think you should contact your Vendor. In 2001, I bought a Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop and it had a manufacturing defect. There was a blurry spot at the top but it wasn't too annoying, but one day my monitor gave out a white screen and shut itself off. Luckily I still had one year's guarantee left with Dell so I had it fixed. If something similar has happened to your laptop and your guarantee hasn't expired yet, I suggest turning your laptop in and let them fix it or give you another laptop. Ofcourse you can just detach the Hard Disk and other stuff and just give the body of the laptop along with the monitor and then attach them again when they return the laptop :)...but if you want to clean your laptop screen, normal cloth won't do, if you're not careful you can damage the laptop. Don't use tissue paper either. Just like dissipate said, use SOFT cloth, it can be either normal or anti-static, but anti-static is recommended. You have to take some mild liquid detergent and mix it with a small amount of alcohol and put them on the soft cloth and then rub the screen with the cloth. Alcohol is not really needed, and I don't recommend it as it might prove harmful in some cases.

Cleaning kit would be the best. Like one from Kensington, with 3M cloth. The cleaner contains isopropyl alcohol mixed with water. Just avoid ammonia or acetone. i've been using my IBM laptop for 3 years (wish i got enough bucks to replace it :) and it's still on top performance :) so is the LCD.

one question.. ahhm what are yu doing with your LCDs that they get so dirty? on mine are some sparkles but nothing such bad i have to use alcohol! i just use toilet paper with a little bit of water! really just a little bit! and then i just wipe gently!thats all :)

one question.. ahhm what are yu doing with your LCDs that they get so dirty? on mine are some sparkles but nothing such bad i have to use alcohol! i just use toilet paper with a little bit of water! really just a little bit! and then i just wipe gently!

thats all :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ouch, toilet paper That is about the worst you can use on any kind of monitor screen. If you ever look at toilet paper under a microscope (yes I did) you'll see it have the same surface as emery paper or fine polishing sandpaper! You should use a cleaning agent that don't remove the coating on your lcd screen and use monitor wipes or at a minimum a soft cloth of the kind you use to clean glasses.

The fibers in toilet paper are made from groundwood, groundwood is the same material that newspaper stock is made from. Old newspapers are recycled in the paper mills along with old office paper to create most of the tissues and toilet paper sold (at least in the US)

If you scratch the coating on the lcd you can see small discolored specs of light where the scratch is.

Nils

Thankyou Nilsc for the information there. Very imformative. I have bought some cleaning equipment which is working great (got it vvv. cheap as well). I really don't know how they get so unclean. I am very careful, i have had to be since i go the laptop cos i know how easy they can be broken, but they seem to get very unclean just by breathing about 6 feet away lol. anyway it is looking very nice now. Thanks all for posting. :)

hmmmmm.. i didnt know, that toiletpaper is like sandpaper :P im happy that someone told me :) but i dont have any screw on my LCD! really its works great on mine! but i think i will buy real good stuuf to clean my LCD! it was expensive enough :P:) again.. sandpaper.. damn thats horrible.. THX!!!

Hmm, the thought of sanding or polishing my rear is unsettling. Anyway I just use Endust of a paper towel, while it's probably not the ideal solution it's worked well enough and hasn't damaged the screens of anything I've cleaned.

How to clean a laptop screenCleaning Laptop Screen

Almost all of the people who gave you advice earlier are idiots. Water is horrible for LCD screens. It can leave permanent water spots and marks, and NEVER use anything other than 100% cotton to clean it with. Toilet paper, paper towels, anything like that can scratch the monitor. So here is what you do:

Turn your computer off first, so as to avoid any shorts or anything and to allow it time to fully dry.

Take something 100% cotton... An old shirt, sock, etc..

Use a small amt of rubbing alcohol on the shirt and lightly wipe the screen. Alcohol works best because it is fast drying and wont leave spots or anything.

/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley1.Gif

-reply by Casper