xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Doom 3s graphics engine? What do you think of it

We hav all herd the excellent reviews from gaming reveiwers on the doom 3 graphics engine. But is it really that good? I hav played the game several times and find the graphics produced good but i dont find them extremely good. Do you agree or disagree???

The engine is good in the sense the shading and lighting is good. And it could support many polygons. Whats realli cool about doom3 is its physic engine. The real realistic physic calculation like falling damage etc.

Doom III's engine is cool I guess. The lighting and bump-mapping are used very heavily to create a realistic effect.However when it comes to polys per model, its about evenly matched with Half Life 2's Source Engine

Doom 3 would be more enjoyable to me if I didn't need to set all the graphics settings to "LOW" to get a decent frame rate.Note to self: Upgrade your ram :P The game's pretty spooky. Always has your adrenaline pumping. The engine's lighting does a good job at creating the atmosphere needed for a nice horror game. I'd love to see someone do a total conversion of System Shock 2 using the Doom 3 engine!! :) I'd also like to note how developers are letting really stupid/easy-to-fix bugs get through to the final product. I had to edit one of the config files to get a performance boost... Something the developers could have done before to save the thousands of people from doing it. Deus Ex 2 had something similar if I recall... Hitman: Contracts had a bug with Post-Filter and the sniper rifles they needed to patch... It's like devs are relying too heavily on patches nowadays :)

i feel that the GFX is great but i still think it lacks in animation detail as the big fat guy come on as if he could move that slow and sluggish. but other then that its great

well Doom3s graphics are great of course , but you won't see the BEST out of it until someone licenses the engine and use it on a REAL story based game , insted of just shooting stupid zombies and stupid spawning deamons ...............

There is also Half-Life 2 which is 4x better doom 3 in my opinion cause the facial animation are much better. Overall graphics are better and the environment is interactable (meaning you can pick up pretty much everythin and throw it). AND THE BEST PART ITS 1/2 THE SYSTEM REQUIRENMENTS THAN DOOM 3. i tried both and doom is just crappy

hm, i guess you couldn't play doom at hires? hehe.to repeat what has been said: the d3 engine is great, but we'll have to wait for other games to come out before we'll see it's full capacity. doom3 was too dark, but the engine is great.

Doom 3 grafix engine is great. But in order to cause everyone to go out and buy the best grafix card in order to run it...it's not that great for the $$. I think ID did this for a reason though because there are a lot of tweaks that you can do to increase your FPS in the game bye 10-15 easily. I was running the game at about 10-15 fps on my Geforce 4 ti 4800 se and then i read a few tweaks about using my system ram to cache the data. After i adjusted it a bit i got up to around 35 fps (but the quality of the grafix isn't GREAT) I definately suggest a good card in order to get the full experience that the engine offers. But overall, 30 fps runs smoother than a lot of games with higher fps, and no matter the resolution/settings it still looks great. ^_^