xisto Community
soleimanian

What Is: Cookies?

Yes macs do get them, and they (cookies, not macs lol) can be a bad privacy invasion tool. It wouldn't hurt to clear out the cookie cache once every so often, but be warned: for sites where you have it set to so that you will automatically log in, you will need to reenter your password and handle and also have it checked for the automatic log in again.

I don't know why people dislike them so much, I mean think about it they can only store info you give them (or they get from your browser).Remember PARANOIA KILLS.I beleive people who beleive that "cookies are bad" are just listening to the "your computer may be tracking your every move" banner. I don't know why the banners don't say your cookies are filling up your harddrive better buy our software before you run out of room.

Well, cookies are considered bad if it's a tracking one, especially if you give importance about your privacy(or if you have violated something and you are being traced). Otherwise, it's just another one of those harmless little tools of technology. :)

Well, in my general opinion, cookies can be used good or bad. The good part is that they store information such as logon usernames and passwords at certain sites so that you don't have to relog back into the site. The downside is that cookies can be used for specific ad targeting and popups and can track your data if you fill out a form. So either way, cookies can be used good or bad.

Well, in my general opinion, cookies can be used good or bad. The good part is that they store information such as logon usernames and passwords at certain sites so that you don't have to relog back into the site. The downside is that cookies can be used for specific ad targeting and popups and can track your data if you fill out a form. So either way, cookies can be used good or bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I only would add that:

Surely cookies can be used well or bad like many other things in life. So, the problem it isnât cookies, the real problem is the intention of who use it in a bad way, then by no way itâs a technical or computer topic; really this is an issue of human behaviour.

I suggest better we restrict our opinions on the technical aspects of cookies.

astahost uses them too (of course, because you don't have to log on every time you visit if you want to) but you can click somewhere on 'click here to remove all cookies made by this board' or something like that. that's how cookies should be used, and not in any way where privacy is being **dont know how to say that in english**-ed.way to go Xisto! :P

I actually have no opinion on cookies because I don't mind them. Unless they are set up for evil or to take advantage of you, I have no problem with websites using cookies. I actually find them helpful when they autofill forms for you and things like that. They are pretty useful, all paranoia aside.

Cookies are small data files created by webs servers that is stored on your computer either temporarily for that session only or permanently on the HD. Cookies provide a way for the Web site to identify users (Such as the auto logon's on this site) and keep track of their preferences. It is also commonly used to maintain the state of the session as a user browses around on the site.Cookies contain a range of URLs. When the HTTP application sends a request to a web server with those URLs again, it also sends along the related cookies. For example, if your user ID and password are stored in a cookie, it saves you from typing in the same information all over again when accessing that service the next time. By retaining user history, cookies allow the Web site to tailor the pages and create a custom experience for that individual.A lot of personal data resides in the cookie files in your computer. As a result, this storehouse of private information is sometimes the object of attack.