xisto Community
fabius

Service pack 2

Are you happy with SP2 ?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you want to upgrade Windows 95 to the integrated version of Windows XP Professional with SP2, you must first uninstall Windows 95, and then perform a clean installation.

If you want to upgrade from Windows versions other than Windows XP, and you want to use the integrated version of SP2 with Windows XP Professional, you should check with the manufacturer of your computer about upgrading your BIOS before you proceed. :):):P

well so far it seems ok...not to much of a difference...about 5% from sp1....new firewall and stuff but it seems that my firewall interupts the norton firewall...they need to fix this issue..

I don't see why people don't like SP2 I don't see what is so bad about it, it just fixes security holes and adds features. It includes an enhanced firewall which i run, in addition to the networks hardware firewall just for added security. I would really like to know what it is that makes people not like it.

I don't see why people don't like SP2 I don't see what is so bad about it, it just fixes security holes and adds features.  It includes an enhanced firewall which i run, in addition to the networks hardware firewall just for added security.  I would really like to know what it is that makes people not like it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have sp2 download blocked in the registry. For the average home computer and home network sp2 is not a big issue. In a corporate environment where you have to test out every patch and make sure they don't interfere with other programs it's a nightmare.

One of the issues is the way XP handles files, folders, virtual paths and releasing memory when it's no longer used (it does not play nice with other OS's that are not M$). When you use xp sp2 with novell client login, all other computers release the resources used on the Netware server (when you close the file or program), xp sp2, holds on to it until the computer (xp sp2) is restarted. If you go in and out of the same program module 4-5 times a day the server resources are gone and all kinds of strange error messages show up. Restart the xp sp2 computer, all resources released. roll back the sp2 and problem gone.

Is that good enough reason not to like sp2?

i have never had any of those problem you mentioned and my computer is almost always on, i hardy ever restart or shut it down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This deals with the way SP2 handles talking to other computers, not just running local stuff like what you are doing. For corporate networked drives and servers handling multiple XP installs, this is a big problem.