xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
soleimanian

Windows Vs Linux

Actually RedHat is now an enterprise only Operating System. If you want to use it personally they changed RedHat personal to Fedora Linux. You should download that instead. Its a hefty 2.1 gigs btw

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Linux files are now bigger than Windows XP OS files. I had 2.1 gig HD and had no problem installing WinXP but when I installed RH Linux, it dind't let me install the graphical user interface

maybe the files are uncompressed? Linux always used to be bigger than Windows which I find not good.I also tried Lindows... I feel that I can say its the worst Linux distro ever made.

Well, for any gamer using an ATI video card (Me for example), I would suggest NOT using Linux.Reason being: Poor driver support for Linux operating systems. I am quite disappointed in ATI for this, I am a strong supporter of ATI but the lack of Linux drivers is baffling!

Well at least it is better than having NO support for drivers at all. At least ATi does make drivers for the Linux Operating Systems. You know its harder for me since I have a laptop. Most of all the parts made in laptops are customized so support for Linux is very low.

I used to be an avid Windows supporter and was intimidated and also unimpressed with Linux. I did not like the GUI, the complexity, or the lack of programs similar to ones on Windows. However, the new version of Open Office is nearly as good as Microsoft Office (ok, not quite but it does the job) and as far as browsers, email programs, editors..linux has plenty to offer.I was forced to work exclusively with linux (Suse 9) this summer at my computer job this summer, and have found that it truly is a much better operating system. The user interface and user-friendliness is still suffering, but as for a stable operating system great for developing, networking, serving, and security--Windows does not compare.

Actually Microsoft DOES have a lot of programmers and they work in different departments. So its not like all of them are working at several things at once. What's BAD is that Office developers for example don't know any source in Windows XP since Microsoft guards it pretty well. When they program Office they are prety much bindfolded as they can't take advantage of the features in Windows XP and integrate it into office.And the 'always need to be patched' part: Windows XP is built on top of Windows NT. Windows NT was introduced somewhere in 1993? and Windows NT is basically the Microsoft version of IBM's OS/2 which was developed when Microsoft and IBM were partners.So if you're using technology that's that old, really what can you expect? Though Linux has twice as much as holes than Windows itself.

Well, I play a lot of games so Windows is the one for me. Compatible with almost everything.I tried a distro of Linux on a cd. Played around with it for a few days. It's basically for servers. Windows can do almost anything Linux can do(surf web, email) except not as good. Same with Linux.

Ive been using Linux for the past 2 and a bit years.i also play alot of games, and dont own a windows machine.Commercial Games i have installed right now....Unreal TournamentUT2003UT2004UnrealQuakeQuake 2Kingpin: Life Of CrimeQuake 3Counter StrikeHalf LifeOpposing Forcesin the past 2 years ive never had to Reboot (not even after upgrading graphics drivers and openGL)never had a virus, never crashed (ever) never had to defragment (and disk fragmentation is stil as low as 0.6%) I have a full functioning Office suite, Operating system, developments tools, compilers... all free.and my system is completely my own, i controll all aspects of it.dont have to worry about updating virus scanners, or service packs or anything.. linux IS great...and not that i care about this type ot thing... but have any of you seen Xorg in action.... SWEEEEET eye candy or WHAT !its gonna be a long long long time before windows has a hardware accelerated translucent desktop.(nope, longhorn doesnt have it !)

what about good graphics tool like adobe, illustrator, flash, 3ds? is this software works perfectly on linux?

i haven't try to use linux and heard lot good things about, also planning to switch os :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

like Adobe what ? accrobat reader ?

i dont do much graphics work, but htere are linux alternativs to those software... i saw a thread about it on developerfusion.com a while back... aparently most of them work on wine anyways.

i cant remember any titles, but wuite a few modern films used linux to render most of the special effects.

there is no shortage of desktop applications for linux.

Linux is apparently case-sensitive on EVERYTHING. Linux is good, but I prefer Windows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when you say aparently, does this mean you have never used linux, but prefere windows ?

wouldnt you prefere a system where EVERYTHING is case sencitive like linux, than a system suffering from lack of standards where SOME thigns are case sencitive, and SOME things are not case sencitive ?

i prefere linux... partially cos it looks better, partially cos of the security and lack of needs for a virii scanners and disk defraggers.. and the price..

but mostly because i like to be in (complete) controll of my computer.

Yes, I have been on a Linux computer. But I never payed attention the the case sensitivity. I was told this. Next time I use one I will check it out.Linux does look better, and you're right about everything you said. I would give Linux 5 stars, and Windows would get 4.8 stars.