xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xelloss

Service Pack 2 of Windows XP Talk about the sp2 of WinXp

Well i have 2 PC's... one with 768 mb and another 265 mb of ram... i upgrated both pc's, installing SP".. till now, they both work fine...

The irony is: the one that has presentd any anomalies is the faster pc.. the one with 768mb.. so i think ram it's not an issue...

You can check out:

SP2 specifications

Where you'll find:

System Requirements

Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP Service Pack 2

⢠Minimum Requirements

o CPU: 728 MHz Pentium-class processor or higher

o OS: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4 (or later) or Windows XP Professional

o Drive: CD-ROM or DVD-ROM

o Mouse: Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

⢠Tools-only install:

o OS: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4 (or later) or Windows XP Professional

o Memory: 128 MB RAM minimum, 256 MB or higher recommended

o Storage: 20 MB Hard Disk space

o Display: VGA or higher-resolution monitor, 1024 x 768 recommended

o Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or later

⢠Database-only install:

o OS: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4 (or later) or Windows XP Professional minimum; Windows 2000 Server with Service Pack 4 (or later) recommended

o Memory: 128 MB RAM minimum, 256 MB or higher recommended

o Storage: 3 GB Hard Disk space

o Display: VGA or higher-resolution monitor

o Misc: Network Connection

⢠Tools & Database combined installation on single computer:

o Memory: 256 MB RAM minimum, 512 MB or higher recommended

o Storage: 3.02 GB Hard Disk space

o Display: VGA or higher-resolution monitor, 1024 x 768 recommended

o Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or later

And as you can see... 256 mb is just fine!!!

I also have installed SP2 and its running fine!!!!i have no problems with the performence or others...........!!I only had the problem that some programms did not function after installing sp2!!!so i recommend that you format your Harddrive and install the hole Windows XP with integrated SP2 !!!!That was much better than the first try and i am satisfied with the new sp2 !!!The security level is much higher than before so i recommend installing sp2 on your system !!!!i am looking forward to sp3 *gg*!!!mfg 5ZylinderPS.: "Never change a running system" :)

With one of my systems Dual PIII 1.0GHz, 2GB SDRAM, 200GB HDD x 2 using RAID.I had to slipstream the Windows XP Pro SP1 CD with SP2, as well as altering the CD to hold my RAID drivers so that the RAID controller would be detected, my RAID Controllers being HPT370. Without adding the drivers to the CD I would have been forced to use a floppy drive, as XP's installer doesn't allow loading drivers from a CD (they should fix that, since Floppy Drives are becoming obsolete).So I had a slipstreamed CD to install from, the 200GB drive was paritition 15GB for the SYSTEM and was blank, this is where I installed Windows XP Pro SP2, installation was fine, although I had to use the Win2k drivers of my RAID controllers instead of the ones suggested as XP drivers, so that ended the first attempt at installing and I had to redo the CD with the Win2K drivers instaed.So after the installation, everything seemed fine, I now wanted to get all my drives formatted correctly and programs installed, so far so good, I replaced Windows Firewall with Kerio Personal Firewall and I installed AVG Free Edition 7 and that made the Security Center stop it's annoying popups, was annoyed that my first installation already had a few updates and then the next day, even more critical updates, I'm wondering whether I should go back into Windows now just to make sure it's updated, else I could come back a few months and discover 100s of MBs to download.As I can tell, XP SP2 seems fine, no apparent problems encountered apart from their drive lettering not being right, only because the drive wasn't fully partitioned but if I had it my way I would have made sure that the CD-RW, DVD-RW were assigned the last drive letters during the installation (maybe another thing they could do for us), but I've now fixed that problem and could have caused registry errors by doing so.The end results, it's alright and too soon to tell if it's great, but it still can't get me out of Linux, I had installed Firefox on it, removed as much of IE as I could and still couldn't stop IE entirely, I wasn't about to download a 12MB patch just to fix this problem either, I removed Outlook Express and replaced with Thunderbird, I noticed they still left Windows Messenger in there, they stopped working on it as far as I could tell but it's still abandonware left over, hasn't been updated since they dropped it, there's a lot that they should clean up but they show their lack of interest but then again their service packs are to take up more space from your drives adding patches to certain files and also to retain the original stuff left on your computer, even if there's no need for it.I'm just wondering how many windows users know what all the exe files in their Windows and System/System32 folders do? A lot of them aren't even documentated by MS nor even used anymore, and some still are 16bit which needs to be emulated to work on windows.

i installed win xp sp2 and i think it is alot better some of the benifits are:1. Wireless networking is ALOT easier and more stable2. finally i have a pop-up blocker that works3. it is alot more stable9.9 out of 10 ^_^:P:D:P