xisto Community
fabius

Wireless networks

i have a wireless b connection at my home... i am using a router which will restrict access from device with mac address not listed in my router... so no 1 can actually accesing my network without my permession... i can tell u... once u have a wireless network... u will never wanna turn back! its simply rocks... though i dunno how to setup/use WEP... but i dun have any valuable information to get steal by my neighbour... also, i dun think my neighbour is any smart den me when it comes to computer... :)

I really wonder whats the sense of having a wireless network???Its MORE LIKELY TO be HACKED AND ABUSED, then a wired network such as Ethernet, or Token Ring...The connection is very poor, range while with wired its alot better...Last and most important, it more costly, nearly double the price of a wired network...And I nearly forgot, its very hard to troubleshoot and repair...

when u got wireless... its very scalable... for my case... i live with my friend... and sometimes my schoolmates come to my house... a wireless network allow my schoolmates and my friend to get connected to each other in no time... and all of us are able to surf online... ya... the speed may not be as fast as wired... but its still very fast... 11 mbps for wireless b of mine... and if u get g... its 54mbps... thats hell lot... and thats enough for alot of stuff... i never felt lag using wireless even though i am having b... if u are doing home networking... i can say it may cost abit more... but not as much... and nowadays it come with bundle... which make it even cheaper... best of all... its wire free... i hate all those tangled up wires... if u wan maximize security... get a router as it can restrict access from people who did not have permission from u by setting up a list of mac addresses that are able to access the network... router are password protected... and u can encrypt your data too... its make hackers almost impossible to hack your computer thru this kinda security implementation... the world is changing... u can trust wireless right now...

I would prefer to have wired network but as I cant I must resort to wireless.The wireless hardware has come a long way since it first came out. There is much higher security preconfigured in the router and many security measures taken. If you live in an apartment and cant rip down your walls or pull cable through them and you dont want wires laying all over the place wireless is great.With 802.11g you can get incredible speed and even with 802.11b it is pretty fast.

I would not recommend wireless networking because of a few reasons. One of the first reasons is, I believe, it is very unsecure. What i mean by this is someone can take a wireless adapter and hack into your network. Reason number 2 is that depending how far you are away from the router, the slower the speed is. You get better speed on a standard router.

I have a linksys wirelessG wireless system at my house (2.4 ghz), it has radius of about 15 metres, so our whole house is connected to the internet. It may be more expensive to use a wireless network but it saves major hassle with a lan network which runs on cables, because our house is three stories high. Another thing is our network is completely secure as we use an encrypted stream and to acces our stream you must have a certain username and password. SO people can't drive past us with their laptops and recievers to steal our internet bandwidth.

The only problem is that you have to use a good key (wep) so other people can not use your internet or even worse acces your pc (documents,...) So if you install a wireless network be sure that you have put a good wep key.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, can't you set up an Access Control List on your router. ( a list with all the mac adresses you want to allow to access your network.. ) And you can also disable your DHCP server and define the internal IPs statically on your router. (You assign an ip to each mac address)

Then you won't need wep...My method is waterproof i think...