xisto Community
Troop107-Admin

phpBB2 vs IPB Didnt know what forum to put this in

I've had a lot of expeirence with phpbb, and I have no complaints with it. I have tried demos of ipb and have been confused of how to use it.I did a websearch looking for different styles for ipb, but I don't remember finding anything. However, I do know that phpbb has plenty of different styles to choose from, many of which can be found on the phpbb website.

I like phpbb2, and the reason why I like it is the design. It looks so much better compared to Invision board and i've found so many themes for phpbb that look great and nothing really on Invision.

Even through PhpBB its easier to customize and administrate, IPB comes with a lot of mods that you´ll have to install by yourself in PhpBB...althrough PhpBB gives out much more errors than IPB and IPB offers more opcións than the other...the reason (I think) for PhpBB to have more developers is that it comes with just a few things and they can do all the other options ofrom the others forums like and add-on to PhpBB.

PhpBB2 is better. And when phpBB3 will be officially released, the IPB could die. IPB is not free, you need to pay for it. Its harder to navigate.You can mod phpBB2, which is very great. Modificating phpBB2 is also free. phpBB2 has also many premodded versions, like phpBB Fully Modded (I am using it).And so and so and so...PhpBB2 is better, IPB can't get better. (Unless they make it free. ;) )

What you've just said is sooo incorrect. IPB is bad because you have to pay for it? Wrong - that's exactly what makes it good. People that work for Invision Power Services are paid for that job, and since IP is a serious company, you can expect those workers to be serious and good programmers, too. So, with those good people to work on a piece of software, it is bound to end up being good.I'm not saying phpBB is bad, but it has gained a bad reputation for its numerous exploits, which is not the case with IPB. While it might be easier to mod and alter (personally, I don't think it is), that's just another weak point. As you said, there are many phpBB modifications - and what do you think, how many of them are 100% secure? less that 25% ;)If money is the only problem, go with SMF, as it is far more secure than phpBB, but is free.

I totally agree with you, Pyost.We can compare a free software to a paid one, and sometimes the free one is better than the paid one.But nobody can say that a software is bad because you have to pay for it.By the way, I like the PHPBB2 look and feel, and I don't like the one of SMF. Moreover, I like the fact that it's free, and it's ads-free on ads-free hosts. Some servers give a "free" IPB forum, with a lots of ads, I hate these.Of course, I use forums for fun, so there is nothing important on my forums, so I don't really have security issues. Maybe I could change my mind if I had important professional secrets in my forum, then I would have to look for security first.

Edited by yordan (see edit history)

By the way, I like the PHPBB2 look and feel, and I don't like the one of SMF.

OK, as for the "feeling", it differs from person to person, so I can say you have a point. But the look is something different - if you wanted, you could make SMF look exactly like phpBB and vice-versa. SMF does have an ugly default template, but nobody's stopping you from using/creating another one.

Can anyone tell me wich of them is faster? because I intend to use one to crete a nice forum on some free host while learning php so I need speed. And also there is simple machines forum. What do you think about it.

I agree! I think phpBB is an excellent forum! It's very easy to use, customize, and manage all by yourself. I've seen some of the other forums, and never liked any as well as phpBB.Also, with the new phpbb3 that's under development, I think it's really going to make it much better! I especially love the new look of phpBB3 over phpBB2. It is much cleaner and more sleek and basically, far more contemporary than phpBB2. I can't wait until they get a stable release out.

Currently phpbb has security problems. Therfore IPB is better because, security come first The only problem with IPB is that its not free, but phpbb 3 will be much better that all of them, when the full version comes out!!!!Thanks

If those two were the only choices of forums to chose from, I rather pay for Invision Board than suffer with phpBB. Whether an interface is confusing or not to a user is more of a matter of opinion. I find Invision much more easier to navigate and the admin control panel is great. phpBB was almost as easy to use but the amount of exploits it has is not making me feel safer if I have to administer it on my site.I have seen phpBB3 in action already and there are definitely improvements over the prior version. For one thing, the loading time seems to be much quicker. As more users deploy these to their sites, we'll see how it will fair in the security area.