xisto Community
OpaQue

AMD And INTEL major diffrence

Recently I got a video about Tom's Hardware where the tested out P4 processors with the AMD ones. This is what I saw,TEST GAME : Quake 3 Arena.The game was started and the heatsink was removed from the processor. After a couple of seconds, AMD got burnt and also screwed up the processor. But gave peak performance until it finally commited suicide.INTEL machine got switched off.. Possible hanged! Motherboard. Performance went on decreasing until it finally went off to sleep.So, what do you think?

hey i once tried to start my intel pc without a heatsink it didnt even boot so did u remove the heatsink after starting game or before starting game??and was this test really relevelent cause i could have used that p4 intel proceesor but iguess i am too late for tha now :)

Intel's approach is much better as it is showing temperature monitoring. It will try and prevent the frying of the motherboard... can't say too much about the AMD one though.AMDs.. i'm not too sure on the new 64's and their architecture. I do now the Athlon's architecture though.It has 10 superpipelines vs Intel's 20 hyper pipelines in their Pentium 4.The advantages of having 10 pipes is that it will make the processor very efficient. When it comes to misprediciton the Athlon can flush, reload much more quicker than the Pentium 4 can because its pipelines are shorter and eaisier to fill. With this comes an inherit disadvantage- Athlons will take a long time for them to be clocked higher.Not with the Pentium 4 though, since it has more pipelines it can be clocked really fast. You see Tom's hardware guide? They OC'd a P4 3GHz to 5GHz! can't do that with an Athlon!

I'm really split even though AMD's perform much better and have always performed better (on the same speed basis). And you don't have to admit anything =D having a P4 doesn't usually mean you'll love it =P.Infact I remember when the Pentium 4s came out with RDRAM... the high end Pentium III's with SDRAM performed much better

This video is cleary wrong (I don't know how much intel paid for that :) ), because every who know and has AMD Athlon and good motherboard, goes to bios setup, hardware... shutdown if the temperature goes to x degree, I've a athlon xp 2800+ and Motherboard Asus A7V8X, and I did the test, I remove heatsink from the processor. After a couple of seconds, the system shutdown instantly, and the processor still working.... :)

Every time when I thinking about the processors, I could not forget that I have three Intel processor (PII 100, PII 133, PIII 300A) put inside my box instead of my computer.When we buy a software, always we can get the update with or without little fee, but why we spent so much money on the update of processors. Is the cost of processor reasonable for us? Could we pay the new processor in the update model?

Well then again its eaisier to make software than hardware right? Processors are etched using ultraviolet light and are manufactured in highly controlled rooms where the temperature must be perfect and the air must be as clean as possible (no dust).

Well then again its eaisier to make software than hardware right? Processors are etched using ultraviolet light and are manufactured in highly controlled rooms where the temperature must be perfect and the air must be as clean as possible (no dust).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi currahee, I think it's really difficult to say which is easier to make, software or hardware. Currently, the More rule still be true in hardware making, but why it is not true in software making.

Considering the cost of processors and software:

Though processors can only be made by few companies. But they master the technology and can make the processors in large scale, this will reduce the TCO for each chip. But normally a software is developed for one enterprise or for only one purpose, this make the TCO high.

Do you think so?

i'm with intel becuz at least when ur heatsink get faulty ur proccessor don't... :) if u are going for speed... den go for amd... nowadays cooling devices for proccessor come in all kind of shapes and sizes... water cooling... air-con... bulky metal pieces... etc etc... i not a hardware expert but i think these can really cool the proccessor by a huge lot... base on their looks :)