xisto Community
spawn_syxx9

Slow Internet Speed After Two Hard Drives as it pertains to internet

I recently asked for help regaining info from one hard drive to another. Well now I have two hard drives in my computer and I have rebooted both of them with XP Home edition. Well it seems that my internet is actually slower though all the network and everything is telling me it is working at 100%. I have dial up netscape internet service. Is it actually slow? Or is it the fact that I live in an area where fast connection really isn't in high demand thus no matter what my dial up connection would be slow?What are your opinions.

Nice question. :D But what does hard drive have to do with internet connection? The only link that I can establish is that if you open too many windows then the page file will be used which again will slow down your comp depending on the speed of the hard drive. I couldn't understand anything about the network and speed and all. You will have to explain clearly.

Hmm, I don't think dial-up has ever been fast :D

It doesn't have to be a permanent thing, I don't know alot about dial-up, but the basics are the same, every connection has a low peak and a high peak. It could be that you were experiencing the slowness in a low peak.

Also, if your dial-up is not on high demand, you would nearly have a dedicated dial-up connection (that actually sounds faster!), meaning it would be faster then the average dial-up. The problem would more be on the other side, where it is on high demand, the more people connect, the slower the connection will be (at that time)

One other thing, to boot the computer means to start it up. So when you switch on the power, the computer boots into an Operating System. To reboot means basically to restart. Comes in two varieties: Cold Reboot and Warm Reboot. When you go to windows shutdown and select restart, thats a warm reboot. However lets say windows crashes and you have to turn the power off and then on, thats a cold reboot.So therefore rebooting harddrives with windows doesn't make sense.Also, you can have as many harddrives as you want, it is the easiest way to increase your disk space. Old Parallel ATA interfaces generally support a maximum of 4 drives (these include any CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, CD-RWs) unless there is an extra controller on the motherboard in which case another 4 can be added.

I never had good experiences with XP home. go Pro!from my experience, Home is lousy, really lousy, on networks and related.but dial-up would be slow no matter what.

Alrighty ^^ thanx for the help. Well my friend was thinking that maybe since I now had two hard drives maybe the data threading was going to both and thus slowing it down. But apparently it shouldn't so yeah. Yeah it probably is the damn dial up. :D

Alrighty ^^ thanx for the help. Well my friend was thinking that maybe since I now had two hard drives maybe the data threading was going to both and thus slowing it down. But apparently it shouldn't so yeah.

Nothing to do with the internet, but if you have two hard drives, you can stripe them and it really boosts the hard disk access times.

Ok I got it. If you have two drives connected to a common IDE channel then you will share the IDE speed. PATA has a maximum of 133Mbps so if you connect two drives to a IDE port then when both are accessed even though they can provide more data the PATA IDE will limit it to 133 or 100 or 66 depending on the PATA version. To get more speed you will have to use raid. Striping will increase your speed. Mirroring will increase your speed only while reading, not while writing. :DHope I could help.

do you actually have windows xp installed on both the hard drives or do you have xp installed on only one drive and the other drive is just like a normal storage drive. please let me know before i could tell you what to do. and well narrow band sucks you should just probably move to broadband.

do you actually have windows xp installed on both the hard drives or do you have xp installed on only one drive and the other drive is just like a normal storage drive. please let me know before i could tell you what to do. and well narrow band sucks you should just probably move to broadband.

57140[/snapback]

What information do you get from that? And using XP on both drives doesn't make a difference. You can boot only to one of them.

Ok I got it. If you have two drives connected to a common IDE channel then you will share the IDE speed. PATA has a maximum of 133Mbps so if you connect two drives to a IDE port then when both are accessed even though they can provide more data the PATA IDE will limit it to 133 or 100 or 66 depending on the PATA version. To get more speed you will have to use raid. Striping will increase your speed. Mirroring will increase your speed only while reading, not while writing. :angry:

Hope I could help.

57084[/snapback]

The fastest HDD today can have a maximum transfer rate of at most 50Mb/s, if you multiply that by 2 that is 100Mb/s which is well below the total bus bandwidth of ATA133. So therefore you will not lose any performance when you plug in two harddisks on the same channel.

Ok, that's from your side. My friend has a Seagate .7 7200rpm PATA 133 and nForce2 Ultra with optimized software drivers for DMA from nVidia which can transfer about 80 burst and over 66 sustained at any given time. :angry: