xisto Community
mizako

Hardware Problem!

Hi, A friend of mine is having this really wird problems with his machine. He bought a computer some months ago. I mean a good computer but one days ago his computer was shutting down something like a power problem (i thought something like blaster). But the next days it worked without problems. But new problems appeared, The computer now freezes after logging into XP and being there some minutes. I mean it blocks even in safe mode. So, i was thinking we had a virus or something like that. So i took the hard disk and backup the important things in my box. I was thinking that after formatting the computer and installing Windows again it will be no problem. But what was my surprise when it got blocked also it freezees also while doing a new installlation. So it seems to me that this is a hardware problem and he should bring it to a shop and they will tell him what it is broken. I want to ask you guys if you hear or suffer something similiar and if you know a way i can help him without going to a shop and paying a bill for it. If you can answer me as soon as possible i am thankful in advanced!!!!The computer is exactly a:Athlon XP2800. 512 RAN160 Gb Hard Disk....

If your friend bought the computer few months ago then he should still have warranty and should not pay if he brings it to the shop.If your friend still has warranty I recommend that you take it to the shop, because it sounds like it is a hardware problem!!!

The first thing you do when you install Windows XP is to download all the latest updates from Windows Update. I guess everyone (using WinXP) has the problem you're talking about and it is a worm that automatically instigates itself when you connect to the internet.

Yes,A bunch of people do have experienced this problem, including me, and it's not a hardware problem, the problem I had was a virus that nested itself in the Bootsectors and the BIOS (yes the bios!), so formatting my pc wouldn't fix it. The best thing to do is bring it to a hardware shop and let them investigate it, they know how to solve such problems.

nasty little viruses & computers! let the pros take care of it, if u've got the warranty. that way, if anything goes wrong, they're the ones who have to replace it.

besides viruses, mostly i experinced like that comes from unstable memory.so try to change RAM if u sure it was not any viruses remain.

From the sound of it I am pretty sure that it is a hardware problem. It can be in the bios or it can be the processor. If there is no proper cooling the temperature rises and the PC freezes. Usually happens. Or if it is in the bios maybe a flashing will do. Since the PC is new and the data is packed up there is no need to worry about anything the hardware vendor will and should fix it. :D

Thanks for your feeback guys. I will tell him to bring to the shop and i will post here what was the problem finally.

few days ago,my brother bought a computer ,512M, Gforce5200.but when he is playing Games,it doesn't work.I have thought it is just once,after several times,I know ther is a problem with it.then I have the same idear with u.install windows again,um... 0_0....it also doesn't work.. I went back to ask for the seller, finally he find the problem , CPU isn't suit for Mainboard.he change the Mainboard for another Size. it works.. :D

At the end we manage to format and install XP again. And now it seems to work. How do we manage know?. He unplugged everything and plugged it again, we reset BIOS to the default configurartion. And at the end we manage to install everything. Sometimes i feel like this things with computers are related with magic. Thanks for your feedback again.

You should always keep checking the temperature of you PC. The first thing you should do with a Athlon is to check the temperature that is the biggest problem and often ends up freezing. So make sure you do that. :DHope I could help.

Hi Mizako,

Hardware vs. software ?? the never ending run around.

Ok, here goes.

1ST: check the RAM >> get a ram testing/ burn in program.

2ND: check the power supply ratings>> check to see the system isn't overloaded with too many PCI/AGP cards etc. for the total power rating of the supply & the voltage ratings for each card are compatible with the slot they're pluged into.

3RD: If the system is over clocked- re-set to default processor settings & reflash th BIOS if necessary with the latest version from the web. Be very careful here- get some expert help or you could totally kill the puter!!!!!!!!

4th: check the power supply total output to the MOB with a power supply tester (r very cheap- usuall less than $10).

5TH: check the CPU >> get a testing program.

6TH: test install a different version of Win OS >> if it still hangs then you can be assured that it's definitely a hardware problem. If you have done all the checks above it's probably a MBO problem.

Some good reliable testing programs:

"Ram Test" or "Memtest86"

"Motherboard Monitor"

"PcWizard"

"911" CD

Hope this helps

RGPHNX

PS- get back to me if you still have problems

You should always keep checking the temperature of you PC. The first thing you should do with a Athlon is to check the temperature that is the biggest problem and often ends up freezing. So make sure you do that. :D

Hope I could help.

57074[/snapback]

Yeah right, if it freezes while you start power intensive programs then I think there is a problem with the power supply make sure you have a 400W one.