xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Styx

Overclocking On A Laptop? advice needed

I've got a Presario 2568 with a Radeon 9200 shared graphics card.now in the BIOS it says i can set the card to 128MB, but the manual and tech support say that that is not an option. as far as tehy're concerned , it isn't a bios option. but since it is, i would like to know whether or not it would do any good to set it at 128 instead of the default 64. would that count as overclocking, and overheat the chip? or would it simply be a waste of 64 mb memory?

you do realize that this has nothing to do with overclocking.Overclocking is the increase of chip speeds, and speeds are measured in Mhz, KHz, Ghz, etc...What you have in the BIOS is probably either the AGP Aperture size, in which case you should set it to the maximum, or if the 9200 is using shared memory how much memory that is going to be reserved for the graphics. In that case the tech service etc are right, the 9200 cannot have 128MB of memory.

Yea alperuzi is right, its not overclocking. What your prob. seeing is the sjustment for your aperture size. Set it to the max but ill tell ya right now it wont really make a diference.

yeah that was sort of a misnomer to call it overclocking...but i couldn't think of the proper term. as far as actual overclocking, that's sort of a no-no with laptops, isn't it?mine seems to really overheat when i'm gaming or video editing.Newayz, thanks for the advice....it's the first time i;ve actually gotten sensible-sounding advice on this in a forum.

you are quiet correct, even on desktops you only gain around 10% speed increase and nothing really visible. In laptops where all the components are much closer together you'll be risking for example your harddisk, cdrom, memory and even your LCD therefore making it not worth the few percent increase in speed.