xisto Community

Happy 4th Of July (Independence Day) to our American Friends hope you have a great day

with your fireworks, BBQs, and family fun.

Ah shucks, you beat me to it, I was going to come in and make a Happy Fourth post!

I spend the holiday doing what I usually do on holidays. Gave 3 doggie hair cuts, one bath to a pregnaunt momma dog, and pretty soon I have to go back out and shut off one soaker hose and then water the other parts of my garden. YOu don't actually get holidays when you have dogs. We did have BBq last night though, and went to the Squires picnic last weekend and watched their great fireworks display, so we do celebrate the holiday in bits and pieces anyway.

sheepdog sorry for beating you to it but I was not busy yesterday and it was the 4th and we had a comment a few days ago

so I thought I was go ahead and create the post.

sorry to hear your 4th of July was work, work and more work great you had a bbq wish you would of left me some lmao.

I myself am not really into fireworks they are so loud so we have not used one since 2001 as long as you had a great 4th anyway sheepdog.

Ah, that's ok, actually I'm glad to see just about any activity here these days! Things are always slow here in the summertime. I suppose more people are outside doing fun summer time things and not spending so many hours on the computer, which is probably a good thing for a lot of people.

yes its warm outside Sheepdog at least it is here.

I can understand people being outside in weather like that,

just can't wait to it to get dark and then i can watch a movie and get a bottle of something.

well hope you had a great 4th and have a great day today.

Oh yes, definatly warm here! So glad I finally got my pool set up. I thought I was going to croak the week before, it was so hot and I didn't have any way to cool down except the shower, and that doesn't help all that much, in 5 minutes your dry and burning up again, but for some reason getting in the pool actually cools me off and I stay cool at least for a little while.

I wish I could see in the dark, so I could work in the cool instead of the heat of the day, but I don't have that capability, so I goof off in mid afternoon, and then after about 5 start working until it gets too dark to see what I'm doing.

I do stay away from the bottle though. That will just get you into trouble! :) I know that all too well!

sheepdog I never got the drink and a movie that night because I was to tired to have it,

it was really roasting yesterday and today can't wait till the rain comes out (then I can moan its always raining lol :D )

when I always get a wash if I am not dried properly I will start sweating off the water from the wash, it does not get dark until about half eleven here during the summer as I have being going out late at night a walk and its always light out when I do, as long as you have a lamp (Or Torch) then you should be able to see in the dark to do what you want to do.

Bummer you missed the drink and movie! But I know the feeling myself. Sometimes you are just too tired to care anymore.

I wish it would rain here too, boy is it ever getting dry! I had some hopes day before yesterday, it clouded up suddenly and started to thunder. I was working at getting my seed room cleaned up and ready for the new season so just as it started to rain I put a little bowel out in it so see how much rain we were getting, since I kind of have to keep track so I know how much supplemental watering I will need to do, and we barely got an eighth of an inch. Pretty dissapointing.

sheepdog not to disappointed though, I can get it this week not really fussed.

really warm tonight I went to sleep for a while and only used a sheet instead of a blanket it was still warm even then dam this heat,

hope you get the rain soon sheepdog is a seed room a green house btw? if it is make sure you give the seeds plenty of water otherwise they will die but don't give them to much, I feel sorry for you though living in hotter weather than us (its a heat wave all this week I hear for here) now only if we could both get a bit of rain we would be set for a while.

sheepdog if you want to let me know what a Seed House is let me know in pm. this Topic is closed any members want it opened just pm me.

Thanks for reopening the topic. It's always a challenge for me to rattle on enough to keep up my hosting credits so every conversation we can keep going makes it easier. Otherwise I have to blather on about my weird and rather crazy life that I'm sure would be of no interest to anyone except me of course.

My seed room as I call it isn't a green house at all. It's just a space I use to dry my flower seed. Years ago we started building a new kennel building. It's quite large, with concrete floor and concrete block walls. We never finished it and over the years we've started using it for various other projects. The south side is set up for building dog houses and other large projects. The inside of the building is mostly used for storage, dog crates, swap meet supplies, tools, sign painting since it can be fairly dark so I can use my projector to lay out the signs, just all sorts of stuff. Then on the north side on the outside of the building in what would be the outdoor part of the dog runs, we did get it divided up into dog runs, but not all the divider walls got put up. So I have a space that would otherwise be 2 dog runs in which I have a chair I can sit in and large metal trays that can catch unde the arms of the lawn chair so they are secure and I can sit there comfortable and hand shell all the flower blooms that I pick for seed. I have about a dozen large screens that I picked up at the swap meet, some regualr window screens, and even several full size screen doors. After I harvest my flower seed heads, I spread them out on the screens to dry. I keep them all in my seed room, where they are actually out in the open air, but are protected from the rain. One of the divider walls is a well braced up concrete form, it makes perfect shelves for my jars of dryed seed. The area is also protected from most of the wind, so I can shell the seed without it blowing away, but because it is covered, it stays pretty cool in there and is a comfortable place to work in the hot part of the afternoon. I have a really huge flower bed, I'll post a picture of it I took already this year, and it takes a lot of seed to plant it. It would cost many 100's of dollars if I had to buy all the seed especially at todays seed prices. It's a pretty big project, but having a room set aside just for that job makes it a lot easier and efficient.

I'll attach 1 pictures, one that will show the length of the bed, the other is a close up of the flowerspost-44799-0-45479900-1374637203_thumb.jpgpost-44799-0-85021600-1374637227_thumb.jpg

your garden is beautiful sheepdog, I still do not know what a seed room is I tried a google images search that is what I came up with is that what you are talking about?

Posted Image

Sorry guess I didn't explain it well enough, I'll give it another shot. It's just a section in my new kennel building that we never finished and put dogs in, it's the size of what would be 2 dog runs on the outside of the actual building itself, but it has a roof completely over it so it doesn't get rained in. I have lots of space to spread out screens so that I can dry whole flower heads when they have matured, and then later I can shell them out (a huge time consuming job) and then put them in jars and store them until the next spring when I reseed the flower bed. Everything I do in that space is seed related, buckets for harvesting, jars for storing, trays and small bowls to save small amounts of special seed, even a notebook that I keep track of what I have planted where, and scrap paper and pens so I can label jars if need be.

by the way just to be careful (and legal within the forum rules)

the image i used is © to its original owners (i am not disclosing who because that is Advertising and its not really important its a garden not a work of art)