xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

New Puppy.

Aw, the joys of puppy raising!I finally decided that it was time I picked myself a new puppy for my own personal dog. It's been over 3 years since Ebony passed away, she was my last Standard Schnauzer, and as good a dog as I have ever had. Replacing her is just about impossible. She was my constant companion and was so dedicated to me it was almost strange. She would never be more than 5 feet away from me at any time if she had the choise.For my new puppy, I picked another Standard Schnauzer, a black one just like Ebony was. So now I am once again going threw the puppy training stuff, and honestly, I'm not liking it one bit. This little dog is the fastest pisser in the world. I swear I can be looking right at her and blink and there will be a puddle in the floor. (on the carpet of course) I just don't seem to be able to time her trips outside all that well. I am crate training her, and she is holding it over night just fine and will go when I take her out in the morning, but other than that it's really quite random, and far to frequent for me. She's nearly 5 months old so she is perfectly capable of holding it over night at least. And other than the peeing, she is doing pretty good. I really thought she would be more of a holly terror getting into things, but she learned the word NO real quick and so far is not being destructive at any rate. Our only other difficulty is that once she is loose she doesn't want to come to me. She has a ton of energy and just wants to run and run. I let her loose for quite awhile this afternoon while I was working on shelling out some more of my flower seed, so thought she would be tired enough to be willing to come into the house on her own, but no such luck. Now, if anyone has some sugestions for a good name, I'm listening. Only thing I've come up with so far is Leona, since her dad's name is Leon. But that's kind of a dumb name for a dog. I've been naming my Standards with Star Trec Voyager names, like Chakotay, Kes, Suspira, and so on, but I've used up all the good ones in that series. Maybe I should go online and find out what Tuvock's wife's name is. The dog is black with pointy ears, so that would work maybe.

Good Grief! I turn my back for a few days and Xisto is so different I can even figure out how to start a new post, answer an old one, or even read the list of topics that have been started because of boxes for google and twitter and face book that block the first few letters in each subject line. You have to scroll up and down to try to get around them, and then there are all those stupid underlined words that make windows pop up so you can see the screen until you stop and X them out, this REALLY SUCKS. This is definatly NOT an improvement. I hate it. Anyway, I decided to name my new dog T'Pel. That would be Tuvok's wife from Star Trec Voyager. She is getting a little better about going outside, thank god, I was about to give up on her. I am still in utter amazement about the amount of energy this dog has. Our poor mini schnauzer, who is 8 years old is doing her best to keep up with her, they just run and play and play. I'm not sure how the old dog is managing to keep up but so far she is. She is good to follow me around, but she has a few thing that she is definatly going to have to learn. She keeps running in front of the 4 wheeler when I'm riding it, and I'm afraid I'm going to run over her. And I have to make sure she is not loose where there are any cars coming in and out, since she is not afraid of them and hasn't gotten any sense about staying out of the way. And while I want her to follow me, I have to teach her that there is one place she is not allowed to follow me, and that is out in the barn yard, because the Komondors will get her, so that has yet to be resolved. Yesterday one of the Koms almost got her when she came back a second time after I put her back out of the barn yard. Anyway, thing are going pretty well with her, but we sure have a long way to go yet.

Boy am I ever glad to see Xisto back to normal. I don't know what was going on when I was in here the othe day but I couldn't make heads or tails out of anything here. Sure glad it's fixed now. My hosting credits are slipping away, it will soon be vacation time and I sure need to get to posting. Sissy, our older Mini Schnauzer and T'Pel are currently haveing a wrestling match as I type this. Poor Sissy has lost a few pounds, but she was too fat anyway, so it isn't hurting her. She is even almost managing to keep up with T'Pel. But just barely. Yesterday they had their first serious dissagreement. As much as T'Pel pesters her, I'm really surprised it hasn't happened before now. Lot's of growling and snapping, but no serious damage done before I stepped in and put a stop to it. I had given each of them a long rawhide stick to chew on. Each went to their own spot to enjoy a good chew, but it wasn't long before T'Pel decided to try to hog both chews. Much to Sissy's displeasure. Little Sissy put her very quickly in her place. Then I retrieved the other chew and gave it back to Sissy. It's kind of funny in a way, since Sissy has never cared about chews in the past. I guess she just wants it now because the other dog does too. There is definatly a lot of jealousy going on with the 2 of them. When T'Pel see's that Sissy is about to jump up on my lap, she comes and pounces on Sissy so she can't jump up on me. It's really pretty funny. T'Pels speed and agility still amazes me. As we came in the house tonight from the back porch, she ran down the hill to the porch and cleared all three porch steps without touching a single one. It was so fast and slick, it didn't even look like she had made a jump, it was just one long step in her stride. I keep expecting her to crash into something and break her silly neck, but she is amazingly coordinated and rarely misjudges her steps and jumps.