xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CarlowOlson

I Need Help Writing A Very Simple Regular Expression?

Hello Guys,There will be multiple instances of this line in the string I'm parsing.a href="link" class="l"What I need is to pull link out of the string.Here's the regex I have now, but my tester says it's not valid./^a href\="(.*?)" class\=l$/mgI'm using C# for this application.Thanks in advanceCarlow Olson

Hello Guys,

The .NET System.Text.RegularExpressions tools do not use /-delimited strings for regular expressions. Save that for javascript. Remove the leading / and the trailing /mg.

Also, the group (.*?) does not make sense. .* is already "optional in that the * allows 0 occurances of the . to match. Remove the ?.

Do you really want to match an empty string here? If not, use (.+) instead.

When you type this into a C# literal, use @-quoting rather than regular C/C++ style quoting. The leading @ avoids all processing of \ escapes. To get a quote in the string, type a double quote. For example:

string pattern = @"^a href=""(.*)"" class=I";

For your tester, just type the string contents: <a href="(.*)" class=I>, without the <> brackets shown here.

Thanks and Regards

Tony Mccallum

Mac Notebook