xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Sandy

Just wanted to remind everyone to say a prayer for all the folks over on the east coast that were hit by hurricane Sandy. The flooding and wind damage looks devistating on the news today. And such a huge area hit, so many millions of people affected, this really is a disaster. I haven't heard yeet weather or not the flooding actually reach the subway tunnels in New York, they mentioned they thought it might. Complicating the disaster as if it wasn't bad enough, a full moon like we had at the time always makes the tide higher than normal to start with. I wonder if anyone thought to sweep threw the tunnels to warn all the homeless people who take shelter in those tunnels, who probably don't have TV's and weather reports sent to their cell phones who may of not known about the incoming storm.

We all are praying for the ones that survived the Sandy and also for those who lost their dear ones in Sandy.My friend Tavros had a property there and was on the first floor, but the flooding was so much that his first floor flat has 5 feet water inside. He lost all his appliances and rest all things in the house were destroyed. Its a broken mess inside. To add to his worries was his flood insurance that will have max policy cover of 180k. However he and his family is fine and in Brussels now. He is now going there today and will also have to get his dog from the second floor's owner and get it treated of some injuries.Unlike Tavros, most do not have insurance and those in the coastal area where flood insurance is a must do not have enough policy coverage. Sandy hit harder with many in the countryside lost their home and cattle. The official casualties is still below 100, but the actual figures may be high. Though many evacuated in time, life will take time to settle.And with the elections just ahead, we hope for the best that the rescue and development will continue as desired.

I Wish the People of the east coast of the USA my Well wishes on this sad time, i don't know if well wishes is the right word or if i it sounds like i am taking the piss if that sounds like what i am doing it is not my intention whatsoever i am sorry. so i wish the People in this time of sadness hope for the future and my well wishes.

Although in different category from Katrina (level 5 vs. 2) a few years ago Sandy still managed to do a huge lot of damage... estimated 50 billion (no where near the 108 billion '2005' USD). I'm happy that there were a lot less casualties. As a foreign observer I think the authorities seemed a lot more prepared then they were 5 years ago. I guess some lessons have been learned.I am also pretty surprised of how well New York resisted compared to it awful position when it comes to getting hit by a hurricane. Once again the evacuations, the preparations seems to have paid of.But I can't help to notice this kind of disasters are coming worse and far more frequent. For a nation getting oil so cheap and using it so much nobody seems to sound the alarm. There is the occasional talk the causes and the effects, but nothing beyond that. Although the cars have changed (mainly because of the economic crisis rather then the ecological crisis) Americans still drive those huge cars eating away countless barrels of oil and putting it in the atmosphere.I know it's the American way, but nobody seems to learn this from the last disaster. Everybody is for making the dams larger and having more sophisticated technology to track them better, but nobody is addressing the issue of why they are getting stronger and more frequent. Nobody is addressing the root of the problem... our own actions.