xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
infotronix

Must Have Tools For Xp. [Freeware]

If you using windows xp, and you want to rake control of it then you must need these tools. With thiese tools you can make you pc work as you want. If you are a new user then its really will help you.

So here the list of the utilities with short description.

I Select all the tools carefully and make all in one zip file that you can easyly download . The download link is in the end.

1. A antivirus.

Use any free antivirus . Talking to anivirus there are two name in my mind now a) Avast free antivirus and 2) AVG free antivirus. You can also search for some giveaway licence key in net time to time. But using a free antivirus is nessery if you use thumbdrive and/or internet. It not also protect you from trojens and backdoors also help you to block unsafe site so you can also browse safely.

B). Utility Tools.

1.whatinstartup Tolls.

We some time see some unwanted programme runs with every system boot. Well some time it has a gnu interface buat some time sone programme run silently. When it loads it make our computers boot time long. So we need to stop these nwanted programme to stop when booting. And here is your tool to do so. This tool is a simple and easy to use just a stand alone exe just double click and you are ready to go , you can disable enable delete registry or startupentry available.

You can also use msconfig that is comes with xp. But it has more option and also control microsoft nessery services. So please be carefull. To use it go to run and type "msconfig" with our quote.

2. WhatIsHang v1.15 - Now you can also know what is wrong with this software.

Sometimes, a Windows software hangs, the user interface doesn't respond anymore, and you cannot find out what is cause of the problem. This utility tries to detect the software that is currently hang, and displays some information that may allow you to understand what exactly cause the software to hang. Most of the information displayed in the report of WhatIsHang, like Call Stack, Stack Data, Processor Registers, and Memory Data, is designed for users with Windows programming knowledge. However, WhatIsHang also displays a list of strings and dll files related to the hang problem, which can also help users without programming knowledge to understand the cause of the problem.

The limitation of the software is, when the entire system hangs - In this case WhatIsHang won't be able to run...

Well you can resetert your system if your os hangs.

3. OpenedFilesView v1.52

this tools display the list of all opened files on your system. For each opened file , additionally information you can see, handle value , read/write/delete access, file protection the process that opened that file and many more. You can control the opend file or it using procss.

4. LastActivityView v1.00

Well it give you the last activitys in your computer. It log and display you all the action made by user and events on the computer. It give you afull log and display , Running .exe file, Opening open/save dialog-box, Opening file/folder from Explorer or other software, software installation, system shutdown/start, application or system crash, network connection/disconnection and more...

So now know What is happening in your system, just a mouse click.

5. DevManView v1.27

This is a alternative software for device manager of windows xp. In addition to displaying the devices of your local computer, DevManView also allows you view the devices list of another computer on your network, as long as you have administrator access rights to this computer.

6.Mailpassview

You use an mail exchange softwarwe that stores your password? Well you can use this utility to recover your password stored those email clients. This come handy when you forgot your passwor(why you need to remember when its stored in a safe place?) and need to recover it . This free tools will give your password back.

7. Firefox , Opera And Chrome password recovery.

We stored password in our browser sometme, and when we dont remember what's the password then we need to reset it. Well now with these utility you can easily use it for recoveryour password .

These softwares are easy to use and com with just an exe. So just click no installation needed.

8. WirelessKeyView v1.56

WirelessKeyView recovers all wireless network keys (WEP/WPA) stored in your computer by the 'Wireless Zero Configuration' service of Windows XP and by the 'WLAN AutoConfig' service of Windows Vista. It allows you to easily save all keys to text/html/xml file, or copy a single key to the clipboard.

9. NetworkTrafficView v1.42

This little utility tells you ow much network is using your all software or others utility. It makes you manage your budget and help you to monitor what happening with your other network computers.

This software is a network monitoring tool that capture the packets pass through your network adaptart and display statics about your network traffic. It shows almost everything ,like type of the ethnet ,ip protocol, address of the destination.source . And it shows ip packet count packet size data speed port (source and destination) duration processid name and some more.

You can get and idea how your network works.

10. VideoCacheView v2.37

With this too you just download any video rom net using your irefox browser you can just download your favorit video. And its all opensource tools so just donload and download..

11. SiteShoter v1.42 - Capture Website Screenshots

you can take any sites screenshot and save it for your later use like referrene and /or inspiration.

You can also use it with firefox extention called awesome screenshot.

Its your choice but you must try it.

12. Clipboardic v1.10

This helps you to use your clipboard wiht more efficiency . When we try copy new items we found our old clipboard items is gone, but now it will neverhappend again. With this softwre you can now able to save the copied items as .clp format and with just click your clipboard will able to paste. Isnt it simple and hassle free?

I like this software hope you also like it too.

So here are my 12 software collection which includ antivirus . I did not include antivirus because its huge and you get new version every week. So just download it from the antivirus site and here you can download the others tools.

If you really like this post ,and somehow helps you then please reply here with your experience. It will give me more knowlage and help this free ware to be more usefull.

DownloaD

Edited by velma
Even though AstaHost is Knowledgesutra's sister, You cannot post the same stuff at both places. Topic quoted in Knowledgesutra (see edit history)

I don't see many of really needed softwares instead i see some you may really don't need. it seems you have gathered these tools depending on your needs because for example i'm using computer for i don't know maybe more than 13 years and never used any extra software for taking screenshot of a webpage or as i have an unlimited bandwidth internet service so i never monitored my network usage. but thanks to your writings i found a good software here and it is "Last Activity View" which seems to be a lot useful for me because i leave my laptop on my desk in laboratory where 30 else people are and sometimes i forget to lock it when i go out for resting , ... so sometimes i doubt that someone may used my laptop or watched my personal files and it is hard to find out such thing without help of third party softwares.

so now i will add some other useful things which i think are necessary for normal usages :

1. Imgburn : a great free tool for burning dvd/cd which is lightweight as well as a lot useful , i'm using it for many years and i can say that i didn't failed to write even once while before finding this software i was using nero burning software which was failing lots of times and wasted a lot of my dvd/cds. this simple software can copy to image and burn from image too but can not convert you video files to a DVD Video disc which in these days with DVD players that can play nearly all type of media files i can say that you don't need that function or if you need it there are lots of freewares which can do this and then use imgburn to write the disc. you can download this software from here : http://www.imgburn.com/

2. PDF X-change viewer : the first software you install after a fresh install of windows is probably a pdf viewer and most of you probably use adobe reader as your default pdf viewer but the thing is that adobe reader is not optimal enough, when i say optimal i mean memory and cpu usage compared to the speed of rendering a pdf file, i found that pdf x-change viewer is capable of providing lots of better performance compared to adobe reader, it can open huge files a lot faster and it doesn't eat up your whole memory for opening a pdf file. there is a free version where can do all the things adobe reader does and comes with some marking and commenting tools to highlight a text in pdf and etc. scrolling a pdf file is a lot faster than adobe reader and you don't hear the fan of cpu when reading a pdf file because cpu usage is very very small. https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

3. Gimp : if you want to do some editing on your pictures and don't want to pay huge money for adobe photoshop then this software is a great alternative for you, it is free and comes with lots of features, you can use brushes in this software too and it can do many of things that photoshop can. as previous software this one is also a lot more resources friendly compared to photoshop and it runs fast on slower computers, also as it is cross platform if you learn it you don't have to worry about learning another software if you go and use linux distros in future. this one too can be downloaded from : https://www.gimp.org/

these were the softwars (freewares) i like to install after every fresh install of windows, of course all of above are free and you can try them. this topic can be really helpful for those who want to know what useful apps other people are using and i think everyone can write the freewares they use here.

Well i am form india and here high speed net is costly. I can afford 6gb of high speed data but i dont want that my data is being usued for some background update that software i never use . Or i just want that if i done need some software i just disable it from being on at the time of boot. well it may be some that is a good for me. Well and gimp pdf viewer is a basic softwawre . they are really good . But in this post i just discull whats are the free tools available for tweek up xp. Well thanks i will make a note of your point of view.Thanks for the reply so soon.Well currently working on some more and more use full tools.

Edited by infotronix (see edit history)

Well i am form india and here high speed net is costly. I can afford 6gb of high speed data but i dont want that my data is being usued for some background update that software i never use . Or i just want that if i done need some software i just disable it from being on at the time of boot. well it may be some that is a good for me. Well and gimp pdf viewer is a basic softwawre . they are really good . But in this post i just discull whats are the free tools available for tweek up xp. Well thanks i will make a note of your point of view.Thanks for the reply so soon.
Well currently working on some more and more use full tools.

A good way to avoid wastes of bandwidth is to use the Opera browser. With Opera you can disable the useless flash banners and activate the ones you really want to see (like youtube) just clicking in it, you can also use their 'turbo' which reduce the size of images in web pages before sending them to you. It's easy to install and to use.

Well you can also use firefox . Well from my personal experience its faster then any other browser in low bandwith like in india.So if you want to use a fast browser use firefox.. Or you can also search googl for your alternatives.