xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ritu

Greek Athlete Barred From Olympics

The Hellenic Olympic Committee has decide to drop athlete Paraskevi Papachristou from the Greek Olympic team.The reason is the offensive comment she passed on the African immigrants. She left the comment on twitter which said that

With so many Africans in Greece, the mosquitoes from the West Nile will at least be eating some homemade food

The athlete is a triple jumper who like all the other participants carried the dream of winning a medal at the event to be triggered on Friday.

Papachristou, however apologised for the comments she made on the social media, but that ended up inviting criticism from people worldwide along with the fury of the political groups of Greece. According to them, the comment was utterly racial and was close to making fun of the concerned nationality and none of the parties were in a mood to ignore the matter that could lead to become a hindrance to international relations.

The athlete said she didn't realize that her comment would result arousing such fury that she would have to forgo the ultimate ambition of participating and winning in the sports extravaganza.

Source

Personally, I think this is a terrible tragedy. That woman has spent the majority of her life in training for the olimpics and I'm sure has worked very hard or she would of never made the team in the first place. To be kicked out for such a stupid, unimportant comment is a travesty. I can't believe that political correctness has gotten to such an extreme. This is totally stupid. I have no idea on what freedoms of speech Greece has, but I'm getting sick and tired of our freedoms being encroached upon simple because we might offend someone. We may have freedom of speech, but how can we not be afraid to open our mouths if our lives can be destroyed over one stupid offhanded comment?