xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
KingMufasa

Ios 6; Worth The Wait?

We all know apple are well ahead of the times when it comes to technology. Well, this was the case 5 years ago when the first iPhone came into our shops, more so when mr Steve jobs announced it as the keynote - in fact, those were his words. The iPhone and it's operating system (iOS) has developed and evolved incredibly over the past few years and now we wait for the arrival of iOS 6, but is it work this?

Yes it has som awesome features, but people speculate, why wait this long to release a feature that should have already been available to us? Prime example; FaceTime over 3G. Not being funny, if I wanted to do this over wifi I would use my webcam. It's free a d has already been around for years and not to mention works perfectly. Not only that but jailbrakers have had this ever since FaceTime was released for the first time.

Some new features sound good but are actually really annoying, Facebook interaction for one. Yeah it's awesome you can get Siri to update your status, or update straight from the notification Center or ever share web pages and photos directly from your iPhone without launching the app, but if you have an over active large friends list like me (not to be big headed), it can get really annoying! Every 2 mins getting an alert that someone has sent me a request on FarmVille, a game I don't even play! I ended up turning it off (I have BETA).

Here are some features that you will actually use (I have mentioned some here above:

FaceTime over 3G and 4G – Make FaceTime calls over cellular connections.Facebook Integration – Share photos to Facebook from Photos app and Like Apps.
Maps- New maps with traffic and 3D flyover mode.
Calls – Slide to answer a call or slide up to reply with a message & remind you to call back later.
Passbook – Your digital wallet for loyalty cards, Amtrak, United, hotel reservations and more.
Lost Mode – Send a phone number to whoever found your lost iPhone to get a call.
Turn by Turn Directions – Voiceguided turn by turn directions with GPS on the iPhone 4S.
Open Apps with Siri – Siri can now open apps with your voice.
VIP Inbox – Tell Mail who your important contacts are so you never miss an email.
Siri - Check sports scores, movie times and make restaurant reservations.
Instant Sharing to Facebook and Twitter – Notification Center lets you share direct to Facebook and Twitter.
Better Sharing Menu – When Sharing, you'll see a new icon driven sharing menu.
Autocorrection for Every Keyboard – Support for autocorrect while using external Bluetooth keyboards.
Location Based Reminders for iPad – The iPad will no support reminders based on location, may be limited to cellular models.
Manual Location Entry for Reminders – No longer need GPS to set a location reminder, type in an address.
VoiceOver Improvements – Better accessibility features from VoiceOver for visually impaired users.
Personal Dictionary in the Cloud – sync personalized spellings and autocorrections of names across iPhone and iPad.
Do Not Disturb - Set the iPhone to prevent calls and notifications from waking you at night, but still allow special callers.
Per Account Signatures in Mail – One signature for work email, one for personal.
Game Center Challenges – Brag about your high score and issue challenges to friends.
Game Center Friends from Facebook – Pull your Facebook friends into games.
Manual Reorder of Reminders – Change the order of reminders to match your priorities.
Improved Privacy Controls – More granular control over your personal data. Turn location control off by app.
Custom Vibrations for Alerts – Already available in iOS 5, expect new features.
Features for China – Baidu, Sina Weibo, Tudou, Youku, Better text input, dictionary
Video stabilization : Stabilizes iPhone and iPad video, which are often shaky.
Shared Photostreams- Make and share albums in PhotoStream. Easily share the right photos with specific friends and family members in near real-time. Also includes comments and notifications.
App in Safari Search Results – See app store search results in the Safari search results.
Full Screen Landscape Support in Safari – See more of the web while browsing in landscape on the iPhone.
Faster Safari Javascript – Improved Safari performance while browsing.
HDR Improvements – Better performance and results for HDR photo taking.
Made for iPhone Hearing Aids – Apple certified hearing aids that will work specifically with the iPhone and iPad.
Improved Accessibility Controls – Lock settings and lock the home button to keep kids out of settings they don't need to touch.

French, German and Spanish Dictionaries – Multiple language dictionaries now in iOS 6.
Alarm with Song – Wake up with your favorite music in iOS 6.
Redesigned Stores – Better looking mobile stores with Coverflow.
In App Bluetooth Pairing – No longer need to leave the app to set up your Bluetooth headphones
Eyes Free – A new Siri button for Siri in-car integration with upcoming support for BMW, GM, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler and Honda
Location Based Alerts for Find My Friends- Get an alert when kids leave school and more.
Safari Browser Syncing - Continue browsing sessions on the iPad after starting in your computer or the iPhone.

Comments?
Edited by moderator
copied from http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/06/11/40-ios-6-features-youll-actually-care-about/, anything that you haven't written yourself,should be under quote tags, the next time you do this, a warning will be issued. (see edit history)

When Apple introduced the iPhone, it didn't really come with a lot of features. Even the Copy-Paste feature, which has been around for ages in Nokia phones was introduced with a lot of hype with an iOS release so it makes you wonder - how much did they actually leave out of the earlier iOS releases? They still make it impossible to use Bluetooth for sending multimedia content but they have lots of apps and have updates being delivered to them, unlike other manufacturers that require you to buy a new device. Sure, they don't cater to every need but they are worth buying if you don't mind settling for the lower capacity ones.