xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ritu

The Walt Disney Co. Is Here To Take Care Of Your Kid's Diet

As a remarkable step to keep children away from junk food, the children's entertainment giant has decided to go ahead with the banning of advertisements that promote junk food. They believe if the child doesn't come across any of such ads, then it will stay away from having junk stuff.

The decision received appreciation from the First Lady of U.S., Michelle Obama as she is associated with the cause of children's health.

According to the parameters set by Disney,600 calories should be present in a full meal. Some food items which have considerably high sugar and sodium content would not be aired anymore on ABC stations of Disney,Disney XD,Radio Disney and the official website of Disney.

A proposal by Mayor Michael Bloomberg in New York suggests that drinks which are not considered healthy should not be in supply at the frequently visited areas like movie theaters and restaurants.

Some of the popular products which wouldn't be approved are Capri Sun Juice and Oscar Mayer Lunchables. The guidelines of nutrition was introduced by Disney in 2006, though in its policy,some concession was provided for special occasions.Moreover, meals that can be categorized under junk food,wouldn't be accompanied by toys that are characters in Disney movies.

Applying the idea that children would themselves be a part of the initiative, "Mickey Check" would act as the sign of approval.

There has been a shower of praise from various health organizations , the BBB( Better Business Bureau) and some of the renowned corporate houses like Burger KIng, Coca Cola etc. which have begun discussion on modifying their policies to make children consume healthy food.

Source

That was very informatory and 'The Walt Disney Co.' being so much popular and an appreciated channel all across the globe I am sure the steps they are taking would surely bring some change. :)

I saw that on the news last night. It was quite a surprise, especially when they mentioned sugary breakfast cerals would also be on the list, when you consider the amount of money spent by huge companys like General Mills that have advertised their fruit loops and frosted flakes on saterday morning cartoons for as long as there has been saterday morning cartoons for kids. The revenue lost to Disney will be huge. Personally I think all this food police business is way over the top. Recent story of the mayor out east, New York, New Jersey, I forget which who wants to ban large size soft drinks for example. And at the same time, adding a step to the legalization of marijuana. I wonder if they have done any studies about how smoking pot leads to obesity? I'm sure it does, anyway, it leads to getting the munchies which will sure put weight on you!